• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bore condition

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all,

Borescope picture of a .35 caliber percussion barrel breech area attached. Anyone have an opinion on the apparent fissure or crack at the 4 o'clock position? The muzzle end is very clean with good rifling, it's only the breech that shows a lack of rifling and the possible crack. Not sure if this defect is in parent metal or a fissure in fouling or rust scale buildup. The barrel shows no external signs of distress and appears to be machined steel not wrought iron. It is marked "TRYON" on a lower barrel flat. I don't have enough experience in muzzleloading firearms to know if lengthwise barrel cracks are a real possibility.

The rifle is a mid 1800s half stock and is in very good condition other than this so I would like to make a determination on it's shootability. Perhaps a re-bore to .40 caliber, if only a scale buildup. Or a barrel replacement keeping the old one a part of the rifle's history. Any advice?

Thanks

Attachments

• 35 caliber breech.jpg
    35 caliber breech.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 88
  • Squirrel Rifle (1).jpeg
    Squirrel Rifle (1).jpeg
    374.6 KB · Views: 89
Back