• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bore cleaning?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How bad is it? If not pitted, just use some synthetic scouring pad around a smaller jag. It’ll clean it pretty fast. Some light oil helps. If its pitted already, try some bore paste or steel wool to get it smoothed. You wont get rid of the pits, but it still might be a good shooter. Good luck

Not too bad. I usually cleaned things out, but it has been sitting for a while. I need to get a smaller jag, I think. Not sure how much muzzleloading there is around here.

Get a bore brush smaller than the bore. Wrap a piece of copper scrubber around the brush so it fills the bore but not too tight. You could also use fine steel wool. Spray either with PB Blaster scrub the rust out of the bore. If it is minor surface rust then just proceed to clean the gun normally. I use water with a drop or two of dish soap, dry the bore and give it a light coat of good gun oil or 3 in 1 oil. If it has deeper pits you may want to use something like evaporust.

How bad is it? If not pitted, just use some synthetic scouring pad around a smaller jag. It’ll clean it pretty fast. Some light oil helps. If its pitted already, try some bore paste or steel wool to get it smoothed. You wont get rid of the pits, but it still might be a good shooter. Good luck
Do you think this Bore is ok, or should I pass on
buying the rifle? It's a Lymen GPR 50cal in excellent shape, except this rust, there isn't any pitting $450 will this rust come out with a copper bore brush?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230527-114421.png
    Screenshot_20230527-114421.png
    677 KB · Views: 0
That just minor surface rust and nothing to be concerned about.

A bit of green scotchbrite wrapped around an undersized cleaning brush will do the trick.

Then lightly lubricate the bore.
Thank you for the info, he won't budge on the price, I think I should buy it anyway.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230527-122623~2.png
    Screenshot_20230527-122623~2.png
    356.3 KB · Views: 0
I dunno, whenever i see rust start to bloom theres a pit under there. When you blow up your picture, you can see the darker thicker rust spots with the lighter rust surrounding them. Thats blooming. It may not be large, but it can be seen. Id walk if they wouldn’t negotiate. Or take some oil and cleaning tools along, asking him if you can scrub it before you decide. Good luck.

I dunno, whenever i see rust start to bloom theres a pit under there. When you blow up your picture, you can see the darker thicker rust spots with the lighter rust surrounding them. Thats blooming. It may not be large, but it can be seen. Id walk if they wouldn’t negotiate. Or take some oil and cleaning tools along, asking him if you can scrub it before you decide. Good luck.
Ya & for $150 more, I can buy a brand new Investarms Gemmer Hawken, which is the same rifle as the Lymen GPR. I might just buy new.

I don't know much about muzzle-loaders (yet), but I've got milsurps with bores that looked a whole lot worse than that and still ended up shooting fine. Buy the gun, invest some elbow grease, and shoot. May take several rounds of elbow grease and shoot. It's the process, not necessarily the results, that are at least half the fun for me. Good luck!!

That's nothing. Brass brush real well with any brand of cleaner, and then 99% isopropl alcohol. Dry patch it, then repeat. Betcha it'll be almost gone after.

I bought a Renegade that had that much, and 3 brush cycles later it looked new.

Sentry44

Easy peezy ...a ramrod or long dowel ... Split on end , other end in a drill....depends on how rusted it is ... You can use sand paper 100 grit and then work.your way finer to steel wool , finer and finer ....it make that bore shine ! and smooth ! Ive cleaned up a lot of barrels this way .... Good luck..

That's nothing. Brass brush real well with any brand of cleaner, and then 99% isopropl alcohol. Dry patch it, then repeat. Betcha it'll be almost gone after.

I bought a Renegade that had that much, and 3 brush cycles later it looked new.

Sentry44
You mention any brand of cleaner, I am interested in seeing if that can be expanded. I am also not familiar with PB Blaster either that was mentioned. I have a few barrels that I recently acquired that need some surface rust effort.

I have the steel wool as well as some scotchbrite pieces, just want to know what are some good cleaners to assist here.

Thanks for the feedback.

PB Blaster is a penetrating oil/solvent available at most auto parts, Wallyworlds, hardware stores. It usually is available as an aerosol. It is good at loosening rusted bolts etc. It does a pretty good job of cleaning up rust in a barrel if used in conjunction with steel wool, copper scrubber etc. of course it won’t fix deep pits but does get rid of surface stuff.

Thanks @Kansas Jake
I’ll look for it next time.

I’ve also noticed a bit of rust build up when I removed the nipple. Not the easiest place to get a brush head into let alone steel wool, could this PB Blaster sit in there for a bit? Seems like a good use case

Back