• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Books.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something else I just thought about is “Bob’s Blackpowder Notebook”. It is an online free book full of info. Just google the title and it will come up. A whole lot of good stuff.

Some great ideas presented here, but, I would have to say Bob's Blackpowder Notebook is at the top of the heap. MUST READ.

Best regards, Skychief.

When PPG posted that Notebook title, I looked it up and been reading parts of it. Have it saved in my bookmarks. It is a very good read, @Skychief . The journal experiences Bob Spencer has posted are each not overly long, but share a fascinating look at (as he says) "...those special moments while afield." Cool that his "field" is so far-ranging.
wiksmo

The best book on flinters I've found is "Flintlocks - A Practical Guide for their Use and Appreciation" by Eric A. Bye. Also, Mark Baker's "A Pilgrim's Journey" both volumes. I've been reading a lot of journals by travelers in colonial and early America. Check the Townsend and Sons website for these last. Their prices are better than Amazon for these books

For fiction, the lists above pretty much covers that for history and gun use. For general reading try anything by Louis L'Amour and the Nero Wolfe mysteries by Rex Stout. Not specifically gun related but always fun reads.

Here's hoping for a quick recovery.

Jeff

Plenty of reading here!

Attachments

• D08F54E8-A206-44F2-ABCC-9C5AA99EC478.jpeg
    D08F54E8-A206-44F2-ABCC-9C5AA99EC478.jpeg
    70.1 KB · Views: 56
Here's a couple I have and enjoy:

Muzzle-loading Cap Lock Rifle by Roberts

The Muzzle-Loading Rifle Then and Now Walter M. Cline (my favorite on the guns in general and old time makers)

Frontier Skills /the tactics and Weapons That Won the West by William C. Davis

Percussion Revolvers by M. Cumpston and J. Bates (not my favorite, but a lot of good info)

1775: A good Year For A Revolution by Kevin Phillips (not specifically about guns, but awesome history)

I'll also second BulletRunBear's recommendation on "Flintlocks - A Practical Guide for their Use and Appreciation" For a more historical slant on flintlocks try Torsten Lenk's The Flintlock, Its Origin, Development and Use, or for a more directed look at U.S. military flintlocks It is hard to beat Robert M. Reilly's United States Martial Flintlocks

The best book on flinters I've found is "Flintlocks - A Practical Guide for their Use and Appreciation" by Eric A. Bye. Also, Mark Baker's "A Pilgrim's Journey" both volumes. I've been reading a lot of journals by travelers in colonial and early America. Check the Townsend and Sons website for these last. Their prices are better than Amazon for these books

For fiction, the lists above pretty much covers that for history and gun use. For general reading try anything by Louis L'Amour and the Nero Wolfe mysteries by Rex Stout. Not specifically gun related but always fun reads.

Here's hoping for a quick recovery.

Jeff
I've read and own almost all teh Rex Stout/Nero Wolfe books. Missing one or 2. They are a great read for times like now.

Another series to recommend is both Sharpe series by Bernard Cornwell and The Hornblower series. Both are primarily set in the Napoleonic era but the Sharpe series has a couple outside of that.

FLINT LOCK & TOMAHAWK, the story of KING PHILIP'S WAR, 1675,and ASK NO QUARTER, KING PHILIPS WAR. both great reading!. the story of CAPT. BENAMIN CHURCH , a MINISTER FROM MASS. who killed the NARRAGANSET INDIANS with a bible in one hand and a gun in the other!

Duncan Crosbie, exiled Scotsman, soldier of France, is driven by an unrelenting determination to defeat the English who killed his father at the Battle of Culloden. So off to America he went for adventure:
The Tall Captains
The Wild Ohio
(both by Bart Spicer) on Kindle too.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BZVD4FB--------------
The Long Rifle. Stewart Edward White. This is the young adult book Walt Disney used to make his 3 part Saga of Andy Burnett (a teenaged mountain man fur trapper).
https://www.amazon.com/Long-Rifle-Saga-Andy-Burnett-ebook/dp/B08X3TS3KP/
https://www.amazon.com/Long-Rifle-Saga-Andy-Burnett-ebook/dp/B08X3TS3KP/

Back