• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Books or websites on lock forging?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am not sure if this is the right section for this question, so apologies in advance.

Are there any good resources for learning about lock forging? Actually building any is beyond my current ability or infrastructure, but I want to get a better understanding of the process and the "how and why" the pieces were the way they were. A lot of the matchlocks and wheellocks I have been looking at have lock parts that look inconvenient or difficult to replicate with hand tools (such as certain hole shapes in the lock, or the serpentine's curve), until I realized that they are from simple blacksmithing techniques. Most resources I have found on blacksmithing are with large pieces in mind, which is why I was curious if there was anything more gunsmithing specific, or if not, similarly small objects.

Thanks!

The Journal of Historical Armsmaking Technology (JHAT) volume 1 goes into a lot of info on colonial-era lock production, use of dies, etc. The series was reprinted and is available from the NMLRA.

Bill Newton wrote and published Handforging the Muzzleloading Gunlock. This one gets more into how to forge parts and build a lock today. I don't think this one has been reprinted, so sourcing it is probably going to be a search on ebay and the book dealers.

The Journal of Historical Armsmaking Technology (JHAT) volume 1 goes into a lot of info on colonial-era lock production, use of dies, etc. The series was reprinted and is available from the NMLRA.

Bill Newton wrote and published Handforging the Muzzleloading Gunlock. This one gets more into how to forge parts and build a lock today. I don't think this one has been reprinted, so sourcing it is probably going to be a search on ebay and the book dealers.
Thanks for the suggestions! I will see if I can find them.

*I looked and the second one is very illusive.

Last edited:
By the time JHAT 1 came out, I'd repaired a number of locks, and made 2 IIRC, with almost no guidance but pictures and a few old locks I could get my hands on. JHAT totally changed my understanding of locks.

Newton's book had a similar effect in that it gave me new ways to look at making lock parts, and how to fit the parts to make a new lock. It also cut the time it took for me to make those parts in half.

For percussion check this out.
https://www.firearmstalk.com/threads/jaco-inspired-shotgun-build.68545/Also try to find the. JACO .45 cal Kentucky rifle plan PDF.
Here is my build, crude but effective. Made all but the screws.
image.jpeg

Thank you all for your recommendations.

A cheap and available option I saw recommneded on another forum is:
The Art of Blacksmithing: Bealer, Alex: 9780785803959: Amazon.com: Books
It is supposedly a good start for learning the techniques that can be applied to lock forging, even though its general blacksmithing. I ordered a copy to help my curiosity while looking for those other books to be in stock second hand (JHAT only comes as a set for $100+).

I figured I can take the monkey with a sledgehammer (or in this case, blow torch) approach while making anything matchlock related, and then splurge for the more expensive instructions when I am ready for something higher stakes and technical, like a flintlock.

If you just want to build a lock and don't care much about authentic, there is always The Salt Book: Lobstering, sea moss pudding, stone walls, rum running, maple syrup, snowshoes, and other Yankee Doings. The lock they show should work, and the description of the rifling machine helped 10-year-old-me understand what I was seeing in a more-traditional rifling bench at the local museum.

Building a basic flint lock isn't that hard. I borrowed a carefully-selected original lock for a weekend when I first started college, and copied all the parts in maple. Then I spent the rest of the semester building an actual lock, and last I knew it was still working fine. But the lock I modeled mine after was about as simple a flint lock as there is: musket sized (off an early NWG) with no bridles. IF you have a place to work and a vise, and IF you know how to use a file and hacksaw, and IF you can silver solder and make springs, and IF you don't mind cheating by buying the frizzen and maybe the hammer, you can build one in a few months of puzzling it out. The maple mock-up I did helped, as did later taking a known good lock and gradually copying and replacing each piece.

Building a really good lock is another matter, but it is doable if you keep at it.

Matchlock locks are easy, the rest of the gun gets a little more complicated. Shoot me a PM if you go that route, I _might_ have working drawings of a lock. Whether I can find them or not might be another matter.

If you just want to build a lock and don't care much about authentic, there is always The Salt Book: Lobstering, sea moss pudding, stone walls, rum running, maple syrup, snowshoes, and other Yankee Doings. The lock they show should work, and the description of the rifling machine helped 10-year-old-me understand what I was seeing in a more-traditional rifling bench at the local museum.

Building a basic flint lock isn't that hard. I borrowed a carefully-selected original lock for a weekend when I first started college, and copied all the parts in maple. Then I spent the rest of the semester building an actual lock, and last I knew it was still working fine. But the lock I modeled mine after was about as simple a flint lock as there is: musket sized (off an early NWG) with no bridles. IF you have a place to work and a vise, and IF you know how to use a file and hacksaw, and IF you can silver solder and make springs, and IF you don't mind cheating by buying the frizzen and maybe the hammer, you can build one in a few months of puzzling it out. The maple mock-up I did helped, as did later taking a known good lock and gradually copying and replacing each piece.

Building a really good lock is another matter, but it is doable if you keep at it.

Matchlock locks are easy, the rest of the gun gets a little more complicated. Shoot me a PM if you go that route, I _might_ have working drawings of a lock. Whether I can find them or not might be another matter.
All those IFs are why it’s more of a curiosity for me right now and not an actual project. I have a good machinist vise, files, a blowtorch head for my camping propane, and a hack saw, but no permanent workstation. When I move in a year, I’m hoping to have a space to turn into a workshop and then I can try actually making something more complicated, like a flintlock.

I am currently building a full matchlock gun, but it’s also my first real build, so all a learning experience. I am considering using a blow torch to form the serpentine, but just use files, saws, and a drill for the rest of the parts, instead of anything forging related. I have the Track of the Wolf book on spring making, so I am still contemplating trying to scratch make a spring for this build because it’s very low stakes in a matchlock and can be a decent way to start learning.

Last edited:
I am currently reading through The Art Of Blacksmithing, and it has been a great introduction, while also a pleasant surprise in how engaging it is. I am still keeping my eye out for the Bill Newton book...

I found a copy of The Journal of Historical Armsmaking Technology volume 1 on abebooks. It was very informative, so thank you all for the recommendation! The use of ratios, instead of measurements, and open faced dies, were particularly enlightening.

Back