• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

BOOKS on making my own #11 Percussion Caps for a muzzle-loading rifle...?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Razor_Wire

32 Cal
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me where to find and buy a BOOK (not an E-BOOK mind you, but a very real book made of physical matter) that describes the step-by-step process for safely making my own #11 percussion caps for a muzzle-loading black powder rifle-- including and most importantly the actual priming compound? I found several online vendors for the crimping tool to hand-punch the percussion cap shell out of beer cans, so that's not the issue. I've tried and failed my man-tushie off to find physical books on how to make the priming compound you fill those caps with.

And when I say books, I mean actual books made of good old fashioned leafy white paper... from the days of yore when the first car phone required you to say things like "niner," and the comical silliness of crypto-currency wouldn't be invented for generations to come.

Specific title recommendations toward this end, anyone...?

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Since this isn't about actually HOW to make caps which is prohibited, it will be allowed. IF a Forum member wants to provide information that isn't in a bound book, say perhaps personal notes...., or IF the Member KNOWS OF A WEBSITE, maybe a YOUTUBE VIDEO, then PM the Member with the info. That should avoid a rules violation and still get the member what they need to know.

LD

Actually, I looked up the actual law, which says that making ones own percussion caps IS legal in the U.S.

It's SELLING them that's illegal. I plan to make them only for myself.

So yes, this threat is actually specifically about making percussion caps, which the law itself says is legal in America. I encourage you to verify that for yourself via your own research, as I did before I posted this thread.

Actually, I looked up the actual law, which says that making ones own percussion caps IS legal in the U.S.

It's SELLING them that's illegal. I plan to make them only for myself.

So yes, this threat is actually specifically about making percussion caps, which the law itself says is legal in America. I encourage you to verify that for yourself via your own research, as I did before I posted this thread.

Alright, so FIRST I used the word "prohibited" after the emphasized word "HOW", and finished the comment with "That should avoid a rules violation and still get the member what they need to know." So OBVIOUSLY I was not speaking about the legality of your making of the caps. I'm quite familiar with the law after 32 years as an LEO and 20 as a Detective in a major department. I was referring to the Forum rules about discussion of the making of explosives, rule 41, and some of the compounds that can be used for some cap compounds include ingredients that are used in explosives, of which discussion is not allowed.

I hope that clears things up for you.

LD

Back