• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Books on German/Prussian Muskets?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkeyman

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Hello,

Ive noticed the amount of books based on British and French muskets which go into great detail, but haven’t come across many books which focus on muskets and arms from central Europe (Austria, HRE, Prussia, Hesse, etc etc). Im currently building a 1740 Potsdam and would like to know if there are any books out there that would help me out.

thanks.

I don't know that you will find a single book that will be a comprehensive study on the Prussian M1740, at least not in English.

George Moller's "American Military Shoulder Arms, Volume I" has quite a bit of good information on continental European arms as they relate to their usage in Colonial era America and the American Revolutionary War. Moller's Volume II finishes the flintlock era and discusses a number of continental arms that were imported during the early Federal period.
For a build guide the books will probably be a little disappointing, since the guns are not normally very heavily photographed in detail, but the pair (and Volume III) are excellent study books none the less.

If you read German some of Udo Vollmer's books might be of interest. I don't own any of his works, but they are referenced pretty frequently in English language books on European arms imported for the American Civil War.

George Neumann's "Battle Weapons of the American Revolution" also covers continental arms of the era and may be of some use to you.

Hawkeye - Thanks, just bought it. In the1950 - 1960's such muskets were commonly available here as Civil War surplus, some cut down. Owned & shot a couple. Murdered a turtle with one using round ball & luck (bad L. for Mr. T). Drew the load out of the one Dad got me, from a Western PA friend who had just lost his only son in Korea. So had no one to hand it down to

Back