• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Books Needed!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone would be interested in donating some books? First, I would like to read them to get up to speed with most everyone on this forum. Then I can either return them to the owner or if it is ok I would share them with others on this forum or donate them to my gun club with the hopes of sparking BP interest in some new blood. I will pay for the shipping on any books donated. And if lending, I will keep detailed records as to who lent me what so they can be properly returned. I would be primarily interested in books regarding the Revolution, the frontier, the mountain men, native americans, the civil war, general muzzleloading, rifle building, etc. If interested please PM and thanks in advance for anyone able to help.

Maybe we can find a way to create a Muzzleloading Forum library where members can electronically sign out books and return them? Just an idea.

I've been thinking about something like that for awhile. How wouuld such a library work?

Would books be loaned on the honor system, or would a deposit be required?

How do you handle postage? Would you expect reimbursement or send books postage due?

With all the members we have there must be alot of information available if we can work out an arrangement.

Well we would first need to have volunteers to state what books would be available. The books could be listed on a webpage. There could be a notation made next to each book indicating if it is available or not. That is the front end.

To check out a book a user would need to register with the library via an HTML Page or ML forum data. User should have to go through a security process for verification such as a confirmation email sent to an email address to complete confirmation. Once registered;

To take out a book, you could either click on a check box next to a book that is available and then proceed to check out, or an HTML link could be clicked on that would take you to a check out page which would allow you to choose a book from a drop down (only available books would be visible). From there, the owner of the book could be displayed with their email address, shipping could be calculated and a nominal rental fee could be applied ($1.00 for example). Using paypal you would then make a payment to the book owner's email address. When payment is received, the owner would send the book out.

The owner would then need to follow up on the return of the book. Obvioulsy if there is a dead beat renter the owner could be out of a book but that is where the volunteer/donation aspect comes into it. Hopefully if a forum such as this were to sponsor such an idea, I would hope the renter would be upstanding class citizen.

I know it sounds complex but the architecture that goes into it would yield a very easy to use library system.

I use a less complex system than this to rent out videos regarding information security and itellectual property protection. Those who could rent the videos are less than 50,000 folks that belong to another non-profit org I belong to. And I know where I can find them. Also if I lose one, I am not overly upset because I just want to spread the education.

One way anyway. Any other ideas?

Back