• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Books and Hardware Supplier suggestions for building Flintlocks?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hatchet-Jack

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I've built some factory kits in my day. I now want to move on to building from a blank stock with no inletting and hardware gathered from sources such as Pecatonica and TOW. I have experience with wood working and metal work so I am confident in my skill set. I may also take a building class at the NMLRA in Friendship IN next year. I am currently reading "Recreating the American Long Rifle". I found an older edition at my local library. So here are my questions:

For Long Rifle building (Anything from 1750 - 1800)
  • What suppliers do you like for hardware, Locks, Triggers, Patch Boxes, Barrels everything?
  • What books on the History do you suggest?
  • What books on how to build do you suggest?
  • Additional question about the Book: "Recreating the American Long Rifle" by Buchele, Shumway, Alexander. Does the newer edition include the "full scale plans" like the one I found at the library? It has some nice plans folded up in a pocket in the back of the book.
Thanks in advance for any advise on suppliers and books on history and building Flintlocks!

How deep into this do you want to go? And how deep are your pockets.

Places like Track of the Wolf, Muzzleloader Builders Supply, Log Cabin Shop, Pecatonica, Dunlap Woodcrafts, and several others have everything you need. Stock blanks, parts, books, plans, tools, etc.

The Kentucky Rifle Foundation has books and CD's with photos of antique guns if you want to be real authentic in your build.

The classic how to books are Recreating the American Long Rifle, which you've looked at, and Art of Building the Pennsylvania Longrifle both of which you can buy at Track. I don't know if the new version has the "full scale plans" like the older version, but it probably does.
book-ral_1.jpg

book-abpl_1.jpg

Another how to book to consider is The Gunsmith of Grenville County. It has a lot more detail than the other two, but you can also become overwhelmed.
book-ggc_1.jpg

Enrolling in a building class at the NMLRA in Friendship, IN or Bowling Green, KY is an excellent idea if you want to get started right.

The building class may also help you to decide what rifle you build and will tell you were to source the parts or will include the parts with the cost of the class. Fewer decisions you have to make which is good because your choices can be too many otherwise.

Since it is a library book or even if it was your own you wouldn't want to cut the plans up. May a copy of the plans so you can cut them out and tape them together. It comes in handy when you are laying stuff out to get a good reference of what you are doing and perspective of a build. This is especially true if you are a newbie or clumsy like I am. Keep the original copy and just copy pages to cut up to compare with what you are doing.

Obviously check the build threads at this site, especially Dave Person has done some wonderful tutorials on his threads. Also, Bill Raby has a series of videos on youtube that are helpful.

How deep into this do you want to go? And how deep are your pockets.

Places like Track of the Wolf, Muzzleloader Builders Supply, Log Cabin Shop, Pecatonica, Dunlap Woodcrafts, and several others have everything you need. Stock blanks, parts, books, plans, tools, etc.

The Kentucky Rifle Foundation has books and CD's with photos of antique guns if you want to be real authentic in your build.

The classic how to books are Recreating the American Long Rifle, which you've looked at, and Art of Building the Pennsylvania Longrifle both of which you can buy at Track. I don't know if the new version has the "full scale plans" like the older version, but it probably does.
book-ral_1.jpg

book-abpl_1.jpg

Another how to book to consider is The Gunsmith of Grenville County. It has a lot more detail than the other two, but you can also become overwhelmed.
book-ggc_1.jpg

Enrolling in a building class at the NMLRA in Friendship, IN or Bowling Green, KY is an excellent idea if you want to get started right.

The building class may also help you to decide what rifle you build and will tell you were to source the parts or will include the parts with the cost of the class. Fewer decisions you have to make which is good because your choices can be too many otherwise.
Thanks for this information!

Since it is a library book or even if it was your own you wouldn't want to cut the plans up. May a copy of the plans so you can cut them out and tape them together. It comes in handy when you are laying stuff out to get a good reference of what you are doing and perspective of a build. This is especially true if you are a newbie or clumsy like I am. Keep the original copy and just copy pages to cut up to compare with what you are doing.

Obviously check the build threads at this site, especially Dave Person has done some wonderful tutorials on his threads. Also, Bill Raby has a series of videos on youtube that are helpful.
Great thank you!

My opinion on the better manual for building a rifle is , "The Art of Building the Pennsylvania Longrifle " by Dixon. This book dwells on using basic tools and methods and doesn't spend valuable time making specialized jigs and fixtures not found in old time gun building. Hopefully you won't have to spend a lot of time learning use of basic wood rasps and metal filing techniques . Also , the other books are helpful simply as a cross reference. Dixon's book is an easy reference to use for comparison of old time ways of doing things and then transitioning to modern time saving ways. It is extremely helpful to learn to use electric drills , dremel type tools , die grinders and power chisels for shaping from a blank. Learning the right approach to building a m/l rifle is the best way to keep from getting discouraged and not finishing the gun. Best of luck.....oldwood

My opinion on the better manual for building a rifle is , "The Art of Building the Pennsylvania Longrifle " by Dixon. This book dwells on using basic tools and methods and doesn't spend valuable time making specialized jigs and fixtures not found in old time gun building. Hopefully you won't have to spend a lot of time learning use of basic wood rasps and metal filing techniques . Also , the other books are helpful simply as a cross reference. Dixon's book is an easy reference to use for comparison of old time ways of doing things and then transitioning to modern time saving ways. It is extremely helpful to learn to use electric drills , dremel type tools , die grinders and power chisels for shaping from a blank. Learning the right approach to building a m/l rifle is the best way to keep from getting discouraged and not finishing the gun. Best of luck.....oldwood
Thanks @oldwood! Doing this the old way is the approach I want to take (at least for my first build) so this is good to know.

Don't rely too much on the plan in the book. It is sort of generic. Study originals or pics closely to get your layout. Decide if you wnt to copy certain features or build something "in the spirit of". Do your homework before you start your build. :thumb:

Don't rely too much on the plan in the book. It is sort of generic. Study originals or pics closely to get your layout. Decide if you wnt to copy certain features or build something "in the spirit of". Do your homework before you start your build. :thumb:
Thanks good advice!

Some great advice here and good luck on your progress. I'm in the same boat and have gone "all in" on this. Cheaper than therapy lol.

Depending on how strictly Pennsylvania you want to be, I suggest you look at the Association of Ohio Longrifle Collectors newsletters online. The Ohio rifles evolved from Pennsylvania guns and some are quite nice. The Ohioans went for metal decoration in leu of carving. An Ohio style longrifle would really stand out on the range?

Back