• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WANTED Book: "Big Bat" Pourier

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Friends,

I'm hoping to find a decent copy of this book:

1628267787327.png

"Big Bat" Pourier, written by Hila Gilbert, published by The Mills Company of Sheridan, Wyoming in 1968, 82 pages paperback. This is the biography of Baptiste Eugene Pourier (1843-1928). Mr. Pourier was a "Frenchman" from St. Louis, who went west at the age of 15. He was a real plainsman, interpreter, and scout. He was known as "Big Bat" to distinguish him from "Little Bat" Garnier, another scout working in the same general area.

The publisher, The Mills Company, unfortunately went out of business in the 1990's.

I did a web search and found half a dozen or so copies for sale at prices starting at $175 (!), and from there, the stratosphere is the limit. I wouldn't pay that even if I could afford it, just because I would not support that kind of gouging. Also, the fact that these books are priced that way does not mean they are actually selling.

So, I would pay $50 for a copy in near fine condition or better. I can assure you, this book would be for my own personal use and enjoyment, with no intention of resale. If you have or know of a copy in good shape, please let me know. I check private messages regularly, if you would rather communicate that way.

Thanks!

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
Back