• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Bone Black

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shane a gress

40 Cal
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience using this? I am looking for a little guidance on applying this with the finish. I have watched Jim's videos on this several times. Maybe a few photos would be helpful to see what areas to apply it to. Thanks.

Apply as Jim shows in his videos. The Kibler SMR in the middle with the patchbox is one I used bone black on. Use on the butt, around the top of the lock where you would get some darkening from the lock firing, and in low rub areas. Some of the darkening on this gun was from rubbing back Tannins when using AF but it was highlighted with bone black. I could have acheived the same result more or less just using bone black but I wanted the stock more black and gold as you see here... You can see some use of bone black or other darkening agent on the two TNs below the SMR.

1031A8C0-649F-44AB-A52F-517BC8979218_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:
Like Jim says, don’t try to get it all on at once. 4,5,6 layers is better. Touch it up as you go, adding some, then knocking back the high points a bit. It’s art. I like most around the top of the lock, in the comb, around the lock panels, around the pipes, under the cheek piece, and in an arc around the butt.

Latest posts

Back