• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Boiled linseed finish damage

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Never saw this before. I put some b.l.o. on my flintlock long rifle, maple stock and red stained, and its caused some damage to the finish that was originally applied.
It has the appearance of almost crazing. When I rubbed the stock after the application, I also got some stain on the rag.
I've never seen linseed react like this to any other finish. This is a very fine rifle and I'm upset that this has happened. I have no idea how to proceed to correct this short of stripping it and starting over. REALLY don't want to go there, but...
Anyone else ever had this happen with b.l.o.? Ideas are welcome.
Many thanks!

I've had BLO wear off especially in tje area in front of the trigger guard, where I hold the gun when walking etc. Had to reapply stain in that area as well.

Without knowing what the original finish is- all my suggestions that may help are just speculation - sorry that's all I have to say🤬 Others maybe able to give some advise to help you.

BLO is not renowned for being a particularly durable finish. The polymers in it take a long long time to harden.

Blo doesn't like the VOC's in some finishes like Danish Oil , Tung OIL , and others of similar viscose type. A quick wood finish can be developed using any of these highly penetrating varnishes. The one thing realized , Is the initial coat of highly viscose oils , needs to dry and cure for several days before any other finish can be added. When the viscose finish finally dries , any good furniture wax can be applied making the wood look like a fine finishing job until the gun is taken out in the weather. Not fun looking at the finish washing off in the rain.
In the early 1950's , several sporterized mausers , and springfields stocked by a relative were finished w/ Linspeed Oil and Birchwood Casey linseed oil finishes.. It's what guys did in those days , and yup , it ran off in the rain........oldwood

Back