• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Boiled beef

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You boil the beef in a water vinegar solution with salt and pepper for about 1 1/2 hrs. then you can take it on treks with you keeps for about 7 or 8 days. But I can't remember the ratio water to vinegar.
I think it was what was giving to soldiers during the Rev War as there weekly meat ration.
I used to remember everything now I guess I better write my name down or I might forget that to!!

Jerry

I am reminded that dysentery and disease killed more soldiers than bullets.

I'm coming up empty so far, but it sounds familiar. Most of the recipes I see are for salt brines or corning..
I'll keep looking, but I keep getting distracted by other things I stumble across like Apple molasses.:D

Where's Spence when we need him.

Found this,
http://www.2ncmi.org/vinegar.html
Vinegar if moderately used, is a great health-preserver in the army. With salt and pepper added to cold meat, and an onion finely cut up, it makes an excellent relish. Stale cold meat, soaked in Vinegar, and then stewed with potatoes and onions, makes a kind of ragout hash, that is very palatable. Cabbage, finely cut, with pepper, salt, and vinegar, is more palatable and digestible then when cooked. An excellent warm dressing for cabbage, salad, or cold potatoes sliced, is make by cutting a piece of fat salt pork or bacon in small pieces like dice, and frying out the fat, then adding a good proportion of vinegar when well heated, and pouring it over the salad, previously seasoned with salt and pepper; a sliced onion is a good addition.
Customs of Service August V. Kautz

From the Smithsonian;
1 lb. beef, or 3/4 lb. pork, or 1 lb. salt fish, per day; 1 lb. bread or flour, per day; 3 pints of peas or beans per week, or vegetable equivalent; 1 half pint of rice, one pint of Indian meal, per man, per week; 1 quart of spruce beer or cider per man per day, or nine gallons of molasses, per company of 100 men per week; 3 lbs. of candles to 100 men per week, for guards; 24 lbs. soft, or 8 lbs. hard soap, for 100 men per week.
The beer, cider and vinegar was to prevent scurvy.
I have read that if they gave them there meat rations for the week at one time it was boiled. And I have done it but how I don't remember.

I gotta admit that went right over my head the first time....

upload_2019-4-12_20-38-30.png

Just looked it up, it’s sauerbraten. German dish of a vinegar marinade. The meat is browned while the marande is brought to a boil. Then the maranade poured over the meat and left to soak for three days. Stewed or braised until done, after the three days.
The maranade is cider and wine vinegar and spices,recipes seem to vary on the spices.
I’ve eaten it, but never made it.

I've seen it mentioned right here on this forum. Either here in "camp cooking" or in "treking." Can't remember where, or what the ratio was/is,,,,,, wait,,,,, who am I, what was I just doing, wh.........

Finally found the recipe for the boiled beef. Boil in a solution of 1/2 vinegar and 1/2 water some salt. some add garlic. Use the leanest cuts you can find. Use a meat thermometer to make sure it is cooked. Will keep for up to a week in moderately warm weather. Notes said outer layer strong but very good inside.

Finally found the recipe for the boiled beef. Boil in a solution of 1/2 vinegar and 1/2 water some salt. some add garlic. Use the leanest cuts you can find. Use a meat thermometer to make sure it is cooked. Will keep for up to a week in moderately warm weather. Notes said outer layer strong but very good inside.
Jerry,
Thanks for hunting up the info!

I just guessed and I didn't share as mine was only kept like less than 48 hours, and was mostly an added safeguard, not really trying it as a multi-day method of keeping it from going bad. I'll add some salt next time, and be sure there ratio is 50/50. ;)

LD

Back