• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bogle rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool gun. Looks 1812 era to me with the skinny buttstock and highly curved buttplate. My estimated is not shared by all. There seems to be in all of us a desire to have our originals be considered as early as they could possibly be.

Thanks, Robby. I have that and found the rifle very interesting, but don't recall seeing it discussed on the forum. I've lost track of the number of discussions I've seen saying plain guns, with no carving or inlays, just weren't done in the late 18th century, but this seems a good example of such a gun. I'm wondering what is thought about it.

Spence

Here is the current Joe Bogle with his 5 times great grandfather's gun at the Museum of Appalachia several years ago. Joe had been building guns for years before he found out he came from a family of great gun makers. He has since made a number of Bogle rifles, even forging out the correct furniture himself.

I am lucky to call him my best friend, a finer man doesn't exist on this earth.

He gave me one of his reproduction rifles in percussion (second picture) a year or so ago, like I said, he is a special kind of guy.

joe and the bogle rifle.jpg
Bogle 1.JPG

Thanks, Eric. I've had the picture of Joe holding the gun for some time, saw Joe's name on his name tag, but didn't understand the relationship.

I was hoping for some comments on the idea of plain rifles in the day, looks as though I'm going to be disappointed.

Spence

Well Spence, I have no experience nor data to validate anything, however to my mind, simple, plain guns would 100% have existed. One cannot even argue the point simply due to the most obvious “what if”. If my family had a nice rifle back in the day, and that stock was busted way beyond repair for whatever reason, would it not stand to simple reason that all the parts be removed and a new stock hand carved for them? If there is no money for a custom one, the old boy with basic tools would do it himself.
Walk

One of Ron Borron's drawings is of the Bogle rifle. Not listed by name or owner but a reliable source advised that it is the Bogle.

I was hoping for some comments on the idea of plain rifles in the day, looks as though I'm going to be disappointed.

Spence

Spence,

I would recommend that you reach out to Don Bruton. Plain, early, southern rifles are his specialty, as a builder and a researcher. I have never met Don, but I'm familiar with his work and I read his posts on the ALR forum. He also has a reputation as a real gentleman.

Good luck!

Notchy Bob

This is a old rifle from my wife's family, plain as can be. One of her great grandfathers was a the local sheriff, there is a picture of him on his horse holding this rifle, I don't have the picture.

I didn't know it until I held the rifle that the drum and nipple are wood that someone put in after the drum got lost. This gun has parts that were obviously swapped out later in its life. This is a Greenhill Alabama rifle.
nose cap.jpg
side plate.jpg

full length lock side.jpg
lock.jpg
cheek piece.jpg

Back