• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bobby Hoyt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slight hi-jack here, but if Mr. Hoyt bored or lines a barrel does he stamp the new caliber on the barrel?

After reading the others replys I think your short answer may be Yes & No. It's probably better to ask Mr. Hoyt. Here is a 40 caliber that he rebored to 45 caliber for me. He stamped the caliber and rate of twist on the bottom barrel flat.

Thanks
O.R.

Attachments

• B Hoyt.jpg
    B Hoyt.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 47
I am sure price would depend upon many factors that experience has
taught Mr. Hoyt, that raises or lowers the difficulty of the job. What is
cool about his service is that you can take a worthless gun and salvage
it for reuse and added life.

I'm getting ready to send him a barrel to re bore. Any one have one done recently? What is his current charge? I'm out West and the time difference makes it hard to call him and actually get him on the phone. My last one a few years ago was $120 ish.

Best to talk to him as it will depend on the amount of work. He is old school with a landline in the shop and will answer during the day if he can hear the phone over the machinery and is at a stopping point. Also It's PA rifle deer season after Thanksgiving and he hunts.

I can't give you an accurate current price because I hand deliver and pick up my barrels.

Thanks,
O.R.

I am also on the west coast, he answered my call around noon PST last week. I am having him rebore a renegade barrel from .50 to .52. He quoted me at $125 plus shipping. Really good deal if you ask me!!

Last edited:
Yup, he is still up there in the boonies.

John
Is it better to call or just take a ride out there? It's like a two hrs ride from here each way. I know he can be difficult to get a hold of. Also, Is it better to bring the whole gun or just the barrel? I'd like to get the barrel relined, a new bolster installed and the front site post set up correctly.
Neil

Mr. Hoyt, having experience with many barrel alloys might be able to comment on whether modern steels for gun barrels can or cannot be "seasoned" like a cast iron skillet. Anyone ever ask barrel makers and machinists this question?

This guy is a genius. I have a friend that had an Enfield rifle musket barrel repaired by Mr. Hoyt. Imagine the guns he's gotten shooting better or again that would otherwise be wall hangers. I believe he does lots of work for the Civil War N-NSA market, too.

I just got a barrel back from him. It took longer than he originally told me so he knocked the price back a bit without me even asking. Then shipped me the barrel and said send a check when you get the barrel. Great guy to do business with and I hope his customers treat him well because I don't know another business that wouldn't want the product paid for before shipping.

Latest posts

Back