• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bobby Hoyt rebore results

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone had him sleeve a barrel to shoot roundballs? I have several TC barrels that do not perform and looking to something with them.
I bought a Baker rifle from Loyalist arms, made in India. The bore was supposed to be 60 caliber but it was way undersize. I sent it to Mr Hoyt and had it sleeved for 54
It works fine, I did have to install a Touch hole liner as the hole was to large

I sent a previously super accurate .40 barrel to BH to be bored out to .45. The barrel had sustained some damage near the breech and lost that pristine accuracy I liked so much. I shipped it off in May or June of 2021 and got it back a few weeks later. Now I've had a lot of rifles pass through my hands over the past 56 years or so, but I swear I've never in my life seen a nicer rifled bore from ANY barrel company, and there have been many, than that BH re-bored GM "B" wgt .40.

I've sent Bobby probably a dozen barrels over the years for liners, both rifled and smooth bore. Totally happy with all. And he is a true gentleman. I pay his invoice immediately after receiving it. I have sent him a couple barrel that I believe only he could fix.

Rick

I had BH bore my 54cal Browning MR to 58cal. It didn't turn out perfect, having some zigzag at the bottom of the bore in the last 4 inches. I called BH and talked to him about, explaining it shot good but you could feel the irregular rifling with the cleaning patches. He asked me to return it to him for evaluation and agreed there was a problem. He said he would make it right by boring it out and putting in a liner, no charge. I got the barrel back today and am even more impressed with Bobby. The liner has the best looking rifling I've ever seen in a barrel, looking at it with my $50 borescope! From the very first shot, after an initial wipe down, it shoots great with a .570PRB and .015 patch. I can even start the ball with my thumb and no patch damage, but I use an over powder wad and leather disc. I'm sure Bobby would not mind my report on his mishap, that he promptly fixed, working it in his busy schedule and getting it back to me in about 4 weeks. Be confident in using his services as he is honest and diligent by my experience.
If your human you are going to make mistakes no matter how skilled you are but the good gun mechanics admit it and make it right. Glad to hear Mr. Hoyt is such a person !

I've sent Bobby probably a dozen barrels over the years for liners, both rifled and smooth bore. Totally happy with all. And he is a true gentleman. I pay his invoice immediately after receiving it. I have sent him a couple barrel that I believe only he could fix.

Rick
Does Hoyt sweat the liners in with solder or does he use adhesive? I'm currently in the middle of relining a barrel and will probably sweat it in. I have done one of my own with loktite but prefer the old way of tinning and sweating them in with solder.
I think the adhesive works just as well and is much easier to do but for me I prefer the sweat in liners to get out all the bubbles adhesives can leave. I've read that quite often a relined barrel will be more accurate then was the original barrel with pristine rifling. It is supposed to have something to do with barrel harmonics I think. I got this new liner f from TOTW.

Yes, as others mentioned, I believe he uses adhesive. Here is another good reason to send him a barrel, especially an old, original barrel that you want to shoot:

I once sent him an original Ottoman barrel from the early 19th Century to have a new, rifled liner installed. The barrel was tapered octagon, with plenty of breech wall thickness. But the original rifling was too chewed up to use. During the process, he called me to mention that the original bore was actually a slight 1-2 thousands off-center in relation to the barrel profile. But the combination of re-boring and the new liner was able to correct this flaw. Now the bore and barrel integrity are straight, You can see the slight difference at the muzzle end. But that is a small price to pay for knowing you now have a straight barrel with fresh rifling. So the barrel is now actually better than when it was originally made new. I swear, the guy is a genius. LOL

Rick

Question that I should probably just ask Bobby. But... I've got an original 1842 Springfield that's had about 7" chopped off the barrel and the bore is rough. Folks have told me he can fix it and bring it back to original length. Has anyone ever had him do this and if so how does he hide the splice ? I want to keep the original proofs on the barrel back near the breech and I prefer the work to be not obvious.

Bobby lives by the premise: If you don't give good customer service, you won't have any customers to serve! His work is top of the line and if he does make a mistake he fixes it!
A friend had a percussion Enfield musket restored by Mr. Hoyt. I thing much of his business comes from the Civil War-type shooting crowd, the N-NSA guys. He has a sterling reputation. Guys like him are rare!

Question that I should probably just ask Bobby. But... I've got an original 1842 Springfield that's had about 7" chopped off the barrel and the bore is rough. Folks have told me he can fix it and bring it back to original length. Has anyone ever had him do this and if so how does he hide the splice ? I want to keep the original proofs on the barrel back near the breech and I prefer the work to be not obvious.
Very interesting, I would like to hear about this modification as well. Sounds like a job for a good TIG weld and then liner installation. The liner would restore the hoop pressure and linear tension integrity. The barrel finish would need doing again.

He will weld a new section on the barrel and turn it to the original contour. He then polishes it leaving a finish like the 42 had when it left the armory. It will be up to you to age it or otherwise finish it to match the original section. The barrel is then lined. All this work is done way up from the breech and the existing finish on the original barrel is untouched. He has done 2 for me; both originals, one a 61 and the other a 63. You won't be able to find the actual weld when you get the gun back as he has to polish a little before it to blend it in. In the case of a barrel that originally had a front sight he will either leave it for you to replace or install one of his sights if you wish. I'm not up on his prices but I doubt it would exceed $200 with shipping.

He will weld a new section on the barrel and turn it to the original contour. He then polishes it leaving a finish like the 42 had when it left the armory. It will be up to you to age it or otherwise finish it to match the original section. The barrel is then lined. All this work is done way up from the breech and the existing finish on the original barrel is untouched. He has done 2 for me; both originals, one a 61 and the other a 63. You won't be able to find the actual weld when you get the gun back as he has to polish a little before it to blend it in. In the case of a barrel that originally had a front sight he will either leave it for you to replace or install one of his sights if you wish. I'm not up on his prices but I doubt it would exceed $200 with shipping.
Thank you, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. Well worth the price to keep the original barrel.

To the best of my knowledge he uses adhesives. I know he can remove a liner and replace it. I've never had a problem with a barrel he has lined for me.
I have never heard of using an adhesive to secure a sleeve before? I have never relined a barrel but when decreasing the size of a damaged hole in metal it is usually done by heating the female part and cooling the male sleeve. It will slip right in and as soon as the work becomes acclimated it is next to impossible to remove, in order to do so it has to be cut out. I have never heard of any other way?

I have never heard of using an adhesive to secure a sleeve before? I have never relined a barrel but when decreasing the size of a damaged hole in metal it is usually done by heating the female part and cooling the male sleeve. It will slip right in and as soon as the work becomes acclimated it is next to impossible to remove, in order to do so it has to be cut out. I have never heard of any other way?

Actually, they were soldered more often than shrink fit, but epoxy or thread locker is the way to go today. It is exceedingly common and successful. Won't damage the finish like heating can.

Back