• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Bobby Hoyt Bored GPR ,.58 Smooth!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh yeah, need range reports on that smooth rifle!
Are you planning on .56 ball? Or maybe even full bore bare ball?
Well, I ma actually going to try a .54 ball and a .18 /.20 ptch and see what I get. Why? because I have lots of .54 cal stuff! and it seems to be tight enough but not so tight as to be a pita loading. Obviously if I get lousy results, I will consider going to a larger ball, probably .562 or even .570? Just do not know? I posted this previously "I measured the bore/miked it at .577-.578. So, my question is, looking at the pics, i have a .529-.530 round ball with various patched. The ball and .010 patch are an easy fit. The ball and 0.15 patch are still easy with thumb pressure. The .018 ticking patch requires a decent amount of thumb pressure but still relatively easy. The .020 patch is obviously the tightest, and requires good solid thumb pressure to start?" So, will it work? I guess we'll find out!!

Attachments

• Patch Sizes.jpg
    Patch Sizes.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
The GPR barrels are 15/16 across the flats. It appears to me that there is plenty of barrel left to go a bit further, but I am not the Gunsmith and Mr. Hoyt has decades of experience and a reputation that is among the best. Therefore i will have to defer to his judgment. I had originally asked for 20 gauge, .62 but Mr Hoyt said there was not enough barrel to do it safely. Someone just reminded me on another post, the Under rib is 'screwed" to the barrel. Those screw holes probably are the limiting factor in boring the barrel!!! :doh:
Another limiting factor is the diameter of the threaded shank of the breechplug. The bore size can't be any bigger than the minor diameter of that threaded section, and the outside diameter of the barrel may dictate the limit in size of the major diameter of the breechplug. As noted, there are screw holes in the bottom flat for mounting the rib, and there are dovetail slots, too.

Fifty-eight is a big bore for a 15/16" barrel. Please be careful.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Another limiting factor is the diameter of the threaded shank of the breechplug. The bore size can't be any bigger than the minor diameter of that threaded section, and the outside diameter of the barrel may dictate the limit in size of the major diameter of the breechplug. As noted, there are screw holes in the bottom flat for mounting the rib, and there are dovetail slots, too.

Fifty-eight is a big bore for a 15/16" barrel. Please be careful.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
Thanks, but I have faith in Mr Hoyt and his experience and took his advice. Here is the barrel after being bored. Still fairly thick, IMHO

Attachments

• Patch Sizes 2 Hoyt barrel.jpg
    Patch Sizes 2 Hoyt barrel.jpg
    527.4 KB · Views: 0
Just to confirm with everyone.

I spoke with Mr. Hoyt yesterday on the phone answering a question he had on a barrel that is awaiting work.

He is not taking on any more work until around 1 April (no joke!). He also said when he starts it will be the simple work first, specifically T/C rebores until he can catch up on backlog of those waiting. He said he is not answering the phone until then.

NOW TAKE THIS AS SECOND HAND INFO. I do not speak for Mr. Hoyt. just relaying what was said during a phone call yesterday. I have no special relationship with the man. I have a couple more barrels I would like to send and as everybody else, they are waiting until 1 April. He will take calls when he is ready to take work.

BTW: He is a real gentleman to speak with. Down to earth and straight forward. It was a pleasure to speak with him.

Last edited:

I spoke with Mr. Hoyt yesterday on the phone answering a question he had on a barrel that is awaiting work.

He is not taking on any more work until around 1 April (no joke!). He also said when he starts it will be the simple work first, specifically T/C rebores until he can catch up on backlog of those waiting. He said he is not answering the phone until then.

NOW TAKE THIS AS SECOND HAND INFO. I do not speak for Mr. Hoyt. just relaying what was said during a phone call yesterday. I have no special relationship with the man. I have a couple more barrels I would like to send and as everybody else, they are waiting until 1 April. He will take calls when he is ready to take work.

BTW: He is a real gentleman to speak with. Down to earth and straight forward. It was a pleasure to speak with him.
I just received my barrel back from Mr. Hoyt about two weeks ago. I spoke with Mr. Hoyt too. What Chorizo is stating is exactly what Mr. Hoyt told me too!

Thanks for the update! Once he gets back to work in April, I would like to talk to him about an extra T/C PA Hunter that I have. Considering having it sleeved to either a .40 or .45 fast twist for conicals. Haven't quite decided on the caliber yet.

Back