• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bobby Hoyt barrel freshening

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winchester97

40 Cal
Reaction score
I recently got a Green Mountain 1" Renegade .50 LRH barrel cheap, as it has a pitted bore. I planned to have it re-bored by Hoyt to .54 or .58. Keeping it as is would definantly not suit my taste, as I'm no fan of a rough bore. However, I was wondering how much material would be taken off by having it "Freshened". It looks as if 90% of the pitting is in the grooves. Would it still be a .50 cal. Would Maxi-Balls still perform the same? Would it be better to just go for a .54/.58 rebore? Anybody who has had this done would be much appreciated to chime in.

It all depends on how deep the pitting is in order to clean it up.
Be sure your Breech plug face is large enough.

I've had several bored by Hoyt and am 110% satisfied.

Freshing will probably end with a larger bore and difficulty getting bullets or molds for bullets designed for faster twist. I would go with a 54 or 58 round ball rig.

It is new to me that Bobby Hoyt does freshening of rifling. By this I mean recutting the existing lands and grooves just enough to clean out pitting and restore accuracy. I am well aware he drills and reams out old rifling completely then cuts new rifling if requested. Has anyone here had a barrel freshed by Bobby Hoyt? To repeat, I do not mean drilling, reaming, and cutting new rifling.

He does refreshen a barrel if possible. Just tell him your bullet or ball you want to shoot in your barrel and he'll give you his advise. You can trust him. I had a bad barrel from a 2001 Lyman and he rebored it to 54 from 50 caliber. He did a fantastic job on it and is very accurate! If the pitting or rust is to deep he won't be able to freshen it but will have to rebore it.

thanks for the comments, as mentioned, a re-line would also be a good option for this barrel...It sounds like that would be the only way to keep it a standard .50cal. Really leaning towards making it a .58 after some more thought.

Latest posts

Back