• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Blunderbusses (Tool! Revisited)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Musketeer

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Sorry 'bout that last post, fellers! I's a-back on my medication, and I's a-feelin' much bitter, uh, I means better! :shocking:
I've read that blunderbusses were quite popular in their day among private citizens, and we've all seen them used in various pirate movies, but were they ever issued by a major military power (i.e. Britain, France, U.S., etc.) to troops or sailors? Seems to me they'd have made great little "entry" or boarding guns. :thumbsup:

Seems to me they'd have made great little "entry" or boarding guns. :thumbsup:

They did, and the belled muzzle made it easier to load on a pitching sea...

Yes. They were the trench broom of the Rangers in the F&I War, the British Navy issued them shipboard (I'm not sure in what numbers) for boarding and quelling mutinies. Arrrrr. Some had swing-out bayonet blades (bottom photo). It was a good weapon for sentry duty and protecting a column from ambush, too.

Historical Background

In the early 1700s the blunderbuss (or blunderbess) started to become popular as a weapon for close quarters because of its ability to deliver a blast of shot or buck and ball. Numerous armies and navies produced various versions of this item all the way into the 1840s. However its zenith seems to have been in the mid-1700s when it was used both by soldiers, sailors, and civilians as a means of defence in close quarters. At one point, George Washington viewed the blunderbuss as an alternative to the carbine for the Continental Dragoons. It is no surprise considering its carbine-like length and feel.

Throughout the 18th century many blunderbusses in both brass and steel barrels were manufactured. On board ship often the steel barrels were japanned or blackened. As one could imagine, this item was ideal for fighting on ship particularly in repealing of enemy boarding parties. In addition their use by settlers in the American colonies is also well-documented. By the latter half of the 18th century the blunderbuss found a following with coachmen as a new tool to thwart the pistol-totting highwayman. The blunderbuss has also been romanticized as the choice firearm of the pirate or privateer.

blunderbuss1.jpg

blunderbussprivatecontractstyle-a.jpg

britmilblunderbuss.jpg

blunderbusswbayonet.jpg
I think on may be next on my list of muzzleloaders.

Thanks, Stumpy. That third photo down looks like a Bess that's been made into a blunderbuss (?). As for the brass barrelled one, I've seen these for sale online, but I'm not sure I have much confidence in a brass barrel! I know they made canon out of brass way back, but the barrel walls were like four inches thick! :shocking: Any thoughts on the safety/longevity of a brass barrelled gun? :thumbsup:

That blunderbus was probably made at the Tower by the same smiths and craftsmen that made the Besses. Same lock, much of the same furniture. Pattern muskets and such are as alike as anything could be back then.

I wouldn't hesitate a moment on a quality brass barrel. It's not like the problem of a brass revolver frame. The barrel is beefy enough, and even if it stretches 0.002" in all directions from the 6,000 #psi pressures (modern guns are 30,000 to 45,000 #psi) it won't matter a bit. The reasoning for it, I imagine, was rust and corrosion on Naval armaments. A brass barrel, well made, is plenty strong. Also plenty heavy!

022-brassbarrel1996-01_th.jpg

A simple cast brass barrel, like some of the imported semi-modern blunderbusses, might be a scary proposition - I don't know. I believe (and I may be wrong) that the originals were cast and then forged by hammering over a mandrel.

Thanks for the info, Stumpkiller. Loyalist has a couple of 'busses on their site w/ brass barrels, man are they beautiful! I'd like to add a blunderbuss to my collection in the future (right now, all my cash is going toward a new Bess), but I haven't decided between brass or steel. I know steel is stronger, but those brassies sure have a unique look to them! (Sigh) Oh, well......... :thumbsup:

What is you get a steel one and have the barrel brass plated?

Maybe not...

If you do get a brass one, keep your charges to 3 drams(82gr.) or less and you might not have a problem. With one ball, the pressure should be below 5,000LUP, up to about 120gr.
: Personally, I'd get a steel barrel. The brass used 'might' be too brittle, too soft, or too something - India uses very soft brass for most of their brass 'stuff'. I would be very leery of a brass barrel, especially from taht country. In that respect, I'd rather take a chance ont he one from Military Heritage. It should be from the heaveir Long Land Pattern barrel stock- but a phone call to them would clear that question up - the 1-613- number.

Holy &%#@!!!! :shocking: :shocking: :shocking: Thanks, Musketman! After seeing that bottom photo, I MUST have a 'buss! I think I'll take Daryl's advice and go w/ a steel barrel, so I can load for bear! :thumbsup:

Man!!! That's not a blunderbuss! That's a trumpet with a stock! :shocking: Thanks for the picture! I always wondered what you and Stumpkiller looked like! :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :thumbsup:

Looked like Holmes and Watson in the "Curious Incident Of The Smouldering Bugle". The picture above it looked like the "Curious Incident Of The Bellerin' Crotch Cruncher!". I hope you were resting that thing on your thigh, elseways it's time to jine up with the Vienna Boy's Choir!!!!!!! :what:

That's not me, but I seen that too...

Some guys are tougher than others, I guess... :rolleyes:

UPDATE! I have never been able to fully rid myself of the desire to own one of Loyalist's military style blunderbusses. Way back when, when I first started this thread, I was concerned about the safety of a brass-barelled gun. Well, I finally got off my arse and emailed Loyalist about this topic. This was their response:
Re Brass barrels:
Our Brass Barreled Blunderbusses are fully functioning and made to fire live ammo and will handle proof charge. For the charges they handle the Brass Barrels are perfectly safe and durable to use.We have had no problems with these Blunderbuss nor the barrels. We have proofed some here and they work fine. The barrels are machined brass. We always email the loading/proofing data when we are ready to ship.

Re Military & French Blunderbuss loading data:

The caliber is .77. A .735 round ball is recommended, although these Blunderbuss

Why not from the shoulder, I wonder? I've got a 27" barrel 12 ga (.729 cal) that I shoot 1-1/2 oz shot & 82 gr. FFg from.

The recoil can't be that much more terrible? Muzzle blast tear your ears off?

Ah, just re-read it. Do not fire the 145 gr. PROOF LOAD from your shoulder. That makes sense. I used to shoot 120 gr from my .54 Renegade when I was young and foolish. 145 gr. & and an ounce of shot would rattle your rafters.

I'd actually tie it to a tire and pull the trigger with a cord. I don't want to hand out the failing report card on the end o' me hook.

You do realize that if you buy one I will be insanely jealous and have to begin saving for my own. :nono:

Stumpy, what's wrong with a hook? You could get a fitting that would allow you to attach a trigger release for shooting your bows! ::You could also have a hand that instead of fingers has a knapping hammer, vent pick, screwdriver, short starter, and shot/powder measure. You'd have all your accoutrements "on hand" at all times! Plus, you'd earn the moniker "Stumpy"! :::crackup: :crackup: :thumbsup:

Back