• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blunderbuss

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phfinneuss

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I ordered a 17'' brass barreled 12 bore (12 to the pound/.75) blunderbuss. It s to be ready no later than November 2nd. Supposed to take 6 months.

I ve already named it,- Moll Flanders. I haven t heard from the folks. I hope all is alright. Veteran Arms. I m looking forward to getting it! Particular critters around here need to be showed what fer. I don t mind saying, I ll blast m good! I ll charge it with round balls from my Colt's Pocket pistol molds (130 to the lb)

I got a ball mold for it from Larry Callahan,- The small one is for my Liege vest pocket turn barrel pistol (carrying 50 to the lb)

Attachments

• 2021-08-02 11.13.15-1.jpg
    2021-08-02 11.13.15-1.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 60
I guess I ll call them in the next days. I m kinda anxious. I ve been using my other long arms until now. A Sharps '59 charged with .17 shotball, and the others with ball.
Anyway, this firelock blunderbuss with .17 shotball and/or buckball, say , , 12 of them, I reckon will do nicely.

1- My casting station

Attachments

• 2021-10-28 17.45.03.jpg
    2021-10-28 17.45.03.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 62
Update,- Called again, texted a g a i n , . Call came through. ..waiting on parts , , Corona this and that , ,. March 1st at the earliest, with Mid April looking reasonable..

They have a ready made that is smaller. Hmm? I m in negotiations, so to say, with them.

C r a p .

----------------------------------------------

1- I ll have to continue with this one
2- , and this one
3- , this one too

Attachments

• 2021-07-26 09.03.36.jpg
    2021-07-26 09.03.36.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 73
  • 2021-07-29 11.49.26.jpg
    2021-07-29 11.49.26.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 79
  • 2021-10-31 08.55.09.jpg
    2021-10-31 08.55.09.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 73
Yeah.

Another 5 months.

I always think of a line in one of the Lonesome Dove shows where the Captain says,- 'I waited two years to get this rifle . .'

Sheeeesh! I hope , , n o t .

That s wonderful! I have been looking for one for a while. Veteran Arms seem to be the o n l y source!
Anyway, they were shutdown entirely for a while when the plague hit. Last year they re-opened kinda sorta. When I ordered mine, he said it can go in any direction. Now with this dammmm plague stuff still going on, Another 5 months I F all goes as anticipated!

Sheesh!

I am certainly looking forward to it though! As you said, the .75 cal, , . Mine a h e m , is the 'Military', 17'' and 33'' overal lengeth.

There were undesirables in my yard just the other day, where I cried out,- See! I need that bell muzzled blaster!!!

Hey, do you ever fire a buck and ball type of charge? I m thinking,- one .740, seven .31 balls.

Yeah, I m wait n with , , 'baited breath? Is that the old saying?

The photo, what s it got to do with a blunderbuss? Coolness!!! That s what! Am I wrong or am I right?

Attachments

• 20200303_143743.jpg
    20200303_143743.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 39
That s wonderful! I have been looking for one for a while. Veteran Arms seem to be the o n l y source!
Anyway, they were shutdown entirely for a while when the plague hit. Last year they re-opened kinda sorta. When I ordered mine, he said it can go in any direction. Now with this dammmm plague stuff still going on, Another 5 months I F all goes as anticipated!

Sheesh!

I am certainly looking forward to it though! As you said, the .75 cal, , . Mine a h e m , is the 'Military', 17'' and 33'' overal lengeth.

There were undesirables in my yard just the other day, where I cried out,- See! I need that bell muzzled blaster!!!

Hey, do you ever fire a buck and ball type of charge? I m thinking,- one .740, seven .31 balls.

Yeah, I m wait n with , , 'baited breath? Is that the old saying?

The photo, what s it got to do with a blunderbuss? Coolness!!! That s what! Am I wrong or am I right?
yes I have 32 cal balls and 75 cal. Have not tried Buck and Ball yet.

Attachments

• DSC_5598.JPG
    DSC_5598.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 18
I ordered a 17'' brass barreled 12 bore (12 to the pound/.75) blunderbuss. It s to be ready no later than November 2nd. Supposed to take 6 months.

So a 12 gauge is .729..., a .75 is an 11 gauge ;) Welcome to The Eleventh Gauge Enthusiasts!

Anyway, this firelock blunderbuss with .17 shotball and/or buckball, say , , 12 of them, I reckon will do nicely.

Do nicely on targets or something else?

Buck-n-Ball for a .75 would normally have 00 buckshot. It's notoriously not a good hunting round, as it's really an anti-personnel load when facing musket men in a line formation.

As a coach gun, a dozen 00 buck would dispatch a highwayman.

You might want to check with the DNR if you're thinking of using buckshot on deer, or even hogs, as some places prohibit buckshot for "large game", and other states if you use a muzzleloader for deer, you can't load more than one projectile.

LD

In the short 14" barrel how is the accuracy and patterning for balls and shot, respectively? I've often thought that a super short 12 or 20 bore would be the perfect walking around gun for most things.

Here are three targets I shot about 3 years ago with my 11 gauge to give you a rough idea. Since then, I found using .32 cal. balls and dropping the charge to 75-80 grains of FFG patterns better and a bit less recoil. Sheet of paper is about 36" X 24". Rick
DSC00361 (Medium).JPG
DSC00362 (Medium).JPG
DSC00363 (Medium).JPG

Latest posts

Back