• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Blunderbuss- Middlesex or Veterans or ????

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want to get a blunderbuss to play around with. I plan using it for being a pirate, display in house and plan old fun shooting it. I am looking at Veteran and Middlesex. I did look at Loyalist but don't want to deal with drilling and shipping. If I was to step up in price would I really gain anything in a blunderbuss and who to use? Thanks
I put mine together with stuff from Pecatonica River. 12 gua. straight bore; no nonsense. I take it trap shooting just to piss the Bernadelli crowd off (they don't like the noise or the smoke). Don't hit many; but a pile of fun.
Blunderbuss1.jpg

Nice looking. I wish I had enough talent to be able to build one. I am better off getting one already built.

I started out wanting one but nobody had what I wanted so I started building.
1.jpg

Attachments

• gallery_6250_444_20159.jpg
    gallery_6250_444_20159.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 73
  • gallery_6250_444_708072.jpg
    gallery_6250_444_708072.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 68
  • gallery_6250_444_855799.jpg
    gallery_6250_444_855799.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 71
  • gallery_6250_444_1248992.jpg
    gallery_6250_444_1248992.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 76
  • gallery_6250_444_1538228.jpg
    gallery_6250_444_1538228.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 76
  • gallery_6250_444_1564711.jpg
    gallery_6250_444_1564711.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 68
I don't see any practical need for the blunderbuss in today's muzzle loading shooting. But as mentioned, they are really fun to shoot and experiment with. And, some of us just had to have one. Myself included. LOL.
This fun factor may explain why you seldom see a blunderbuss come up for sale second-hand, Indian made or custom.
Their owners don't seem to want to part with them. There seem to be more originals for sale than replicas.

Rick
blunderbuss 001 (Medium).jpg

Loyalist and Middlesex use the same source from India. I have a matchlock and doglock blunderbus from them. Both came with the vent drilled, but maybe the laws have changed in the 10 years since I last got one. The blunderbus sparks very reliably, but the trigger pull is 20 pounds!

I want to get a blunderbuss to play around with. I plan using it for being a pirate, display in house and plan old fun shooting it. I am looking at Veteran and Middlesex. I did look at Loyalist but don't want to deal with drilling and shipping. If I was to step up in price would I really gain anything in a blunderbuss and who to use? Thanks
I like the blunderbuss Veteran has; the military version that looks like a Bess, not the other one. I don't have one due to cost, but it seems like you'd get enjoyment out of it. I haven't looked at the other vendors, must do that. The vendors will never reveal their sources in India, it's a trade secret guarded more closely than the formula for Coca-Cola! Busses seem to have a universal fascination! Good luck!

Toot: Is your buss from Pedersoli one of those brass barrel ones from the 1970's that Navy Arms and Dixie sold ? I remember those. If so, maybe post a pic. They are quite rare now. Thanks.

Rick

I bought my Loyalist Arms Ranger Musket from The Muzzleloading Shop LTD. and I couldn't be happier.
Touch hole already pre-drilled, finish was nice compared to the bright chrome and tar-paint looking finishes of the other vendors.
Plus, they safety shoot them before shipping to you so you don't have to worry about owning a pipe bomb.

( Yeah, I know. I'm sure this comment will now get a ton of manure about "proofing", and India-made guns, ad nauseum.)

Anyway, I'd go with them or Veteran Arms.

I have had a VERY bad experience with Middlesex including almost a two year wait on my order and not being refunded my money when I finally gave up and canceled my order so I avoid them like the plague.

Loyalist and Middlesex use the same source from India. I have a matchlock and doglock blunderbus from them. Both came with the vent drilled, but maybe the laws have changed in the 10 years since I last got one. The blunderbus sparks very reliably, but the trigger pull is 20 pounds!
That can be lightened as your probably know. I believe almost all the India-sourced guns come from the same place; look at the selection, they're all alike, pretty much. But each vendor will say, "I do this and that, etc., etc." I bought 3 items from Vet and they were fine for what they are. The fellow was good about replying to my inquiries, etc.

I will be calling the The Muzzleloading Shop tomorrow evening. I will decide what I am getting after I talk to them. I do like the Loyalist blunderbuss but will be happy with a French one from Veterans.

Why I would not shoot an Indian brass blunderbuss.

The very first blown up gun I looked at in the early 1980's was an Indian made Blunderbuss with the breech plug blown out, shooting heavy blanks. Fortunately that plug missed the shooter's face.
When I examined it I saw that the very fine threads in brass barrel and pug were all intact, just a little smearing on the tips of the threads.
So why did the plug blow out?
Those fine threads barely held the plug in to begin with. Specifically the plug O.D. was small, compared with the threaded hole in the barrel's breech. If you don't understand me here, it is because it makes absolutely no sense to you, breeching a gun this way.
But it didn't worry the Indians. It is a cultural thing, having actual practical knowledge of what one is doing. Val Forgett was apologetic, he had no idea that his Indian supplier was doing this.

This was a long time ago. Still, I question that the gun making industry over there has learned from it.
I also question how many readers here know not ever to use fine threads in brass? But rather always coarse threads..

Sincerely, Jim Kelly, your P.I.T.A. engineer.
Since 1963/steel case-hardened and through hardened. steel forgings properly and not properly heat-treated/stainless steel metallurgy/armored vehicles/gas turbine engines in Viet Nam & elsewhere/ all manner of high temperature processing using nickel alloy fixturing/brazing, welding steel & nickel alloys/probably &c

Toot: Is your buss from Pedersoli one of those brass barrel ones from the 1970's that Navy Arms and Dixie sold ? I remember those. If so, maybe post a pic. They are quite rare now. Thanks.

Rick
yes it is and sorry my piece of poop laptop, BANG & OLUFSEN will not let me post pictures. I paid I think $ 600.00 for it. didn't know that they are rare. I have it setting in the attic. it cant be aimed because of the large flared barrel. what are they fetching now?

the older one. from the 1960's.
I remember seeing them in the Navy Arms catalog back it the early to mid 1970's. But they could have been made since the late 1960's, just don't remember. Have no idea what price they would fetch now. Haven't seen one listed second-hand for over 20 years.
They actually used that blunderbuss in the 1970's movie The Mountain Men. I recall they showed some guy running and firing it. Just a brief few second clip.

Rick

Why I would not shoot an Indian brass blunderbuss.

The very first blown up gun I looked at in the early 1980's was an Indian made Blunderbuss with the breech plug blown out, shooting heavy blanks. Fortunately that plug missed the shooter's face.
When I examined it I saw that the very fine threads in brass barrel and pug were all intact, just a little smearing on the tips of the threads.
So why did the plug blow out?
Those fine threads barely held the plug in to begin with. Specifically the plug O.D. was small, compared with the threaded hole in the barrel's breech. If you don't understand me here, it is because it makes absolutely no sense to you, breeching a gun this way.
But it didn't worry the Indians. It is a cultural thing, having actual practical knowledge of what one is doing. Val Forgett was apologetic, he had no idea that his Indian supplier was doing this.

This was a long time ago. Still, I question that the gun making industry over there has learned from it.
I also question how many readers here know not ever to use fine threads in brass? But rather always coarse threads..

Sincerely, Jim Kelly, your P.I.T.A. engineer.
Since 1963/steel case-hardened and through hardened. steel forgings properly and not properly heat-treated/stainless steel metallurgy/armored vehicles/gas turbine engines in Viet Nam & elsewhere/ all manner of high temperature processing using nickel alloy fixturing/brazing, welding steel & nickel alloys/probably &c
I have pulled the plugs out of quite a few India blunderbusses and can say I have not found any with fine threads. The general era for what I have worked on is post 2000. I have seen a few pieces from the 70's and 80's (not brass blunderbusses) made in those regions and they are scary to say the least and nothing compared to what is being produced now. Im going to say that in the past half century they have really got their act together and are doing a good job of filling the void for people who are looking for earlier period guns and blunderbusses. Something that is expensive and time consuming to have produced.

Got one on order from the The Muzzleloading Shop . Loyalist French . He has it in stock. I will post pictures when
I get it. Thanks for all the info given in my asking and thanks for the lead to the The Muzzleloading Shop .

hope that you will enjoy it? let us know how you like shooting it when you get to the item?

Back