• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blunderbus

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was Talking to Jack Garner of Tennessee Valley Muzzleloaders at a trade fair a couple weeks ago and noticed he had 3-4 laying behind him there. I don't know any specifics on them ..and don't have a phone # for him. Guess there might be a online site for them though.

Dixie used to sell brass ones - might try them. You might also try with Getz Barrels at (570) 658-7263. I believe they manufactured them at one time. I know a fellow who will make one for you from forged iron, but you'd have to want it really, really bad to justify what he would have to charge you for it.

Vernon C Davis & co in there ad in Muzzel Blast list a 22" Blunderbus Barrel.$200 & $290 in brass. ph.# 1 614 761 2568 6901 Running Deer Pl. Dublin Oh. 43071 Rocky /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks fellas,.... for all the excellent "leads"!! I'm jest put'n together some "thots" on a blunderbuss at this time! (see'ns as I ain't never had one before!!) :D

rollingb:
Seems to me I've read somewhere that the blunderbuss was made with that trumpet barrel so it could be loaded faster as on horseback or on a carrage.
I've never fired one, but I've read that they don't scatter shot any more than any other shotgun with no choke.
Any of yuz guz have similar information on why the blunderbuss had that trumpet snout? :bull:

As I understand it, the Blunderbus was used as a Coach Gun to protect the Coach and Passengers from the many Highwaymen (robbers) who lurked between the towns in Merry Old England (And on the mainland for that matter).
The funnel mouth was indeed designed to speed the pouring of powder and shot down the barrel as they bounced about up on top of the coach.
The Navy also took a liking to them for the same reason (ease of loading while perched up the masts and in the rigging), and when you stop and think of it, who is going to mutiny when looking down the bore of a Blunderbus held by a ****** First Mate? Not I.

Come to think of it, can you imagine the look on the face of an intruder as he hears the click of the sear going to full cock and stares down the bore of your Blunderbus?

Indeed, a small but mighty self defense arm!

Historical Background

In the early 1700s the blunderbuss started to become popular as a weapon for close quarters because of its ability to deliver a blast of shot or buck and ball. Numerous armies and navies produced various versions of this item all the way into the 1840s. However its zenith seems to have been in the mid-1700s when it was used both by soldiers, sailors, and civilians as a means of defence in close quarters. At one point, George Washington viewed the blunderbuss as an alternative to the carbine for the Continental Dragoons. It is no surprise considering its carbine-like length and feel.
The blunderbuss shown below is .69 caliber.
blunderbuss3.jpg
blunderbuss5.jpg

Throughout the 18th century many blunderbusses in both brass and steel barrels were manufactured. On board ship often the steel barrels were japanned or blackened. As one could imagine, this item was ideal for fighting on ship particularly in repealing of enemy boarding parties. In addition their use by settlers in the American colonies is also well-documented. By the latter half of the 18th century the blunderbuss found a following with coachmen as a new tool to thwart the pistol-totting highwayman. The blunderbuss has also been romanticized as the choice firearm of the pirates and scallywags.

The blunderbuss has also been romanticized as the choice firearm of the pirates and scallywags.
Does this mean Musketman will be getting one? :winking: :haha:

On top of that the effect of multiple shots on target is squared for each pellet, not multiplied! The energy levels for three or four pellets are astronomical.

Oh, those blunderbusses... :winking:

I guess there was a need for a bayonet on a buss...
British Made Brass Barrel Original Flintlock Blunderbuss.
Manufactured ca. 1800
dukeblunder.jpg

dukeblundermuz.jpg

High Quality Irish Spring Bayonet Blunderbuss.
Manufactured by Horton circa 1810.
blunderaxn.jpg

blundermuzz.jpg

COOL!-[url] militaryheritage.com[/url] has one for sale- looks very similar to the one pictured here & is in .75 cal.with a steel barrel. This bore size extends most of the length, with only the muzzle flaring to insure ALL of the projectiles dumped towards it, fall in.
: For the apparent quality, it is a nicely made piece. I've even had thoughts it would make a nice addition to the hunting firearms in the locker. Wonder how it's shoot- believe it has an 18" barrel.
Daryl

Last edited by a moderator:
Blunderbuss bells...

Iron Barreled buss...
6495.jpg

A close up of a brass barreled buss...
f163-8.jpg

My God, what a hole!!! :shocking:
Reminds me of bass fishing... :winking: :haha:
blunderbuss%203.jpg

Back