• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bluing or Browning help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonewolf172

40 Cal
Reaction score
I just ordered a Traditions Kentucky rifle kit, 33.5" barrel. Which is the best and easiest solutions to use? Birchwood Casey Perma blue paste or liquid kit or Laurel Mountain Forge solutions? I have checked my electric oven and if I take out the racks there seems to be enough room to put the barrel in it if I angle it. IF I go with that what temperature should I set the oven at and how long would I leave the barrel in the oven?

For Birchwood Casey plumb brown use a couple of propane torches to heat it. The older more toxic BCPB worked better but is best forgotten. Plug the muzzle. Use something to get it off the bench, like wood or metal blocks. BCPB does after rust for a while

Cold blue is fast. I use Oxpho-Blue from Brownells. I have BC perma blue but it does not work as well.

Laurel Mountain Forge is my current favorite. It does a much better job than BC Plumb Brown. LMF will take a couple of days to complete. I card with steel wool and windex. LMF does not after rust.

All blueing and browning needs a properly prepared surface. I use burgandy scotchbrite to blend the steel. That will look about like #150 sandpaper. It is important to not over polish the surface. If you take a long time and get the metal to a mirror finish it will not take the chemical as well. In the case of browning, the reaction will dull the surface anyway and you efforts will be for not.

Glove handling clean. Rub with white cloth till no dirt/oil stain exist. Preparation paramount.

Back