• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Blued my lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

APG

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Decided to blue my L&R rpl lock. I think it looks better.

Attachments

• 20221109_152457.jpg
    20221109_152457.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 20221116_144806.jpg
    20221116_144806.jpg
    774.5 KB · Views: 0
Yes. I used the oxpho blue paste from Brownells. Works real nice. I'll more than likely do it again. I seem do do better the second time around plus I have a bunch of the stuff left over.
save the oxpho for the next one......... there will be another you know. they multiply.
i like the look. if you hit it again it may be uniform in color and lose the aged look it has now. i struggle mightily trying to achieve that very look!

Another thing to try for bluing is Laurel Mountain browning. Boil the parts to change to a rust bluing. Have seen several items done so and it is very old school cool.
Quite durable too.

Another thing to try for bluing is Laurel Mountain browning. Boil the parts to change to a rust bluing. Have seen several items done so and it is very old school cool.
Quite durable too.
Plan to do a barrel that way over the winter. Hopes it's as easy as it sounds

Yes. I used the oxpho blue paste from Brownells. Works real nice. I'll more than likely do it again. I seem do do better the second time around plus I have a bunch of the stuff left over.
Thought so, the Oxpho blows away the other cold blues. Looks great!

I have always poured boiling water over anything I want to cold blue before applying the blue , It seems to work better . I wouldn't blue springs that way though

Back