• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blue Grass Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wagonpilot

Pilgrim
Reaction score
My father-in-law has a flintlock passed down from his grandfather. Only two markings on it: "Blue Grass" and initials: "E. E." I haven't been able to find any information online. Anyone heard of this gun maker? He wants to have the gun restored since it has a lot of history with his family. I'll post pics when able.

Blue Grass was a trade name used by Belknap Hardware on many of their shotguns as far back as the 19th Century, including muzzleloaders. I haven't seen any reference to rifles sold by the hardware company, but I would say that they may have sold locks with the name on them. Is the lock stamped with this name? Several hardware companies sold parts to local gunsmiths and whoever needed to repair or wanted to build a gun and often stamped lockplates with the company name or a trade name. I'm puzzled about it being a flintlock unless it had been converted. Some pictures will help when you can get them up.

Correction. The gun was described to me over the phone, and now I see by the pictures that it is not a flintlock, but a caplock. I can't tell if the barrel is rifled or not. I should have the dimensions of the gun in a short while, but it's a rather long gun, so I doubt that it's a shot shooter. Blue Grass is clearly visible engraved on the side plate, with the only other markings E.E. stamped on the top of the barrel. I'll upload the pictures as soon as I figure out how.

It doesn't appear to have a damascus barrel so I'm wondering if it could be restored to shooting condition.

It is a very late period percussion rifle made at a farmer's workbench using as KR said, a hardware store lock. The locks were commonly available even up into the 1940s and 1950s so it will date before then, possibly as early as 1875. The Bluegrass locks could be fitted, very often crudely, to guns with lost or worn out locks.

If your father - in - law has it restocked it won't be his grandfather's gun anymore. It has a lot of character as it is, a lot of stories to tell if it could talk. Restocking it would just be a new gun made from old parts.

I would advise him to wipe this one down with a damp cloth, wax it to protect it from further rust and deteriation, hang it up and brag about it "that's my grandfathers old gun" Go buy another gun if he wants a shooter.

That just may have been originally flintlock. The lock appears replaced as evidenced by the mortice and the bolster looks to be of a style that was often used for conversions. I agree on no restoration. It is more valuable the way it is.

Ghettogun said:
That just may have been originally flintlock.
There's almost no chance at all this was stocked as a flintlock. The mortise is for a "bar" lock and was probably salvaged from a shotgun.

While this is and interesting piece and I too wish it could talk, I agree with the premise that this was a gun cobbled together from misc. parts to make a practical, usable firearm. It was not stocked by a professional.

I advise you hang on to it as a family heirloom and abandon all asperations of firing it. Enjoy, J.D.

I have a bluegrass. Gun like the pic on here and its lock ok
ill send pic if need

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back