• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blown out skirts.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

APG

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Pedersoli 1861 Springfield and I'm shooting hand cast minieballs using the Lyman 575213 mold. My question is how much powder (2Fg) can be used before I start deforming the skirt on the minieball ? The range I go to goes out to over 800 yards not that I would be able to hit anything or even see anything at that range. But I would like to try out to 3 or 400 yards or maybe even further with out messing up the minieball. Any information on this would be great appreciated. Thanks.

A lot depends on the mold you use. Some have thicker skirts than others. 60 grains of 2f won't damage the skirt. I don't have my copy of the Lyman Black Powder Handbook & Loading Manual anywhere handy but they have some great photos of skirts being blown out.

In one of the Lyman manuals, Val Forgett modified a Minie' ball to have a very thick skirt for one of his 58 caliber Buffalo Hunter rifles for use on a trip to Africa. Most here for target use find the 60 to 65 grain loads adequate.

Normally around 60 to 70 grains was what I loaded in my .58 Zouave. The minies didn't get damaged as long as I didn't exceed that charge. And as mooman76 and Grenadier1758 advised you can turn the base plug down to get a thicker skirt. Using something like 2F Goex won't damage the bullet skirt at all. Make the skirt even thicker and you shouldn't have any problem using heavier charges.

You don't need an excessive powder charge to hit at long range.

I loaded 60grs fffg in my Navy Arms Musketoon and using the 500gr RCBS minie was able to ring the 12" gong at 300 yards repeatedly. I had a good rest and had to set my rear sight at 400 yards. It took 3 shots to get the sights dope, but afterwards had no trouble. The scoped centerfire crowd almost wet their pants.

You don't need an excessive powder charge to hit at long range.

I loaded 60grs fffg in my Navy Arms Musketoon and using the 500gr RCBS minie was able to ring the 12" gong at 300 yards repeatedly. I had a good rest and had to set my rear sight at 400 yards. It took 3 shots to get the sights dope, but afterwards had no trouble. The scoped centerfire crowd almost wet their pants.
So that's what I was wondering if indeed a 60 gr. load would take the minie out to that range or if I needed more Powder. I'll go ahead and try the charge I've been using. Thanks

So that's what I was wondering if indeed a 60 gr. load would take the minie out to that range or if I needed more Powder. I'll go ahead and try the charge I've been using. Thanks
More powder will just start blowing the skirt.
Start at 60. Bump up 5 till accuracy falters then back off 5 or what is comfortable for you. Same charge at any range. Adjust your sighting.

I've always found the Maxi's to be more accurate than the minie's at 100 yards anyway. I have no clue if this holds true farther out but I think it probably will.

Or……get frustrated like I do and just load up 100grs of 2F and a patched roundball. Minies are frustrating in my world.

They are frustrating if used in a round ball barrel. And they must be trailored to the rifled musket.
But at ranges exceeding 200 yards they provide much higher ft/lbs of energy at target.

I've always found the Maxi's to be more accurate than the minie's at 100 yards anyway. I have no clue if this holds true farther out but I think it probably will.

If you have a barrel with deep grooves and lands then the maxi ball is a better option.
Rifled muskets typically have rather shallow lands and grooves, and are suited to minie balls.
SOME rifled muskets will shoot prb's well, but that isn't the subject here.

GENTS, I bought a Navy arms Hawken Hunter, just like Val Forgetts. I got the 600 grain minies and put in the 250 gr powder charge recommended for hunting.
I proceeded to shoot it from the bench. When I came to, I was lying on the ground
behind the shooting bench with a huge welt on my face, and the rifle lying across my chest. An older gent came over to check on me, and said "I think you might have used too much powder..."

Keep in mind the sixty grain historic load for the .58 minie was intended for volley fire. It will certainly throw the ball as far as you want, but they never expected accuracy. We in this day and age just expect more, sometimes from a machine that was never designed or intended to perform that way.

Back