• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blown nipple.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The drill diameter is not a huge problem. A 6.1mm drill is 0.2402" in diameter. A 15/64" drill bit is 0.2344" in diameter and should provide a 75% thread fit when used for a 7mmX1mm tap. A 'B' letter size drill is 0.2380", and a 'C' letter size drill is 0.2420" in diameter, the first being slightly more than a 75% thread fit, and the second slightly less, but any of the three better than what you have now.

Last edited:
The drill diameter is not a huge problem. A 6.1mm drill is 0.2402" in diameter. A 15/64" drill bit is 0.2344" in diameter and should provide a 75% thread fit when used for a 7mm tap. A 'B' letter size drill is 0.2380", and a 'C' letter size drill is 0.2420" in diameter each being slightly less than a 75% thread fit, but any of the three better than what you have now.
Oh boy.....
Has not a 1/4" nipple blown out?
If so the current hole will be to big for a 7mm thread.
If I'm correct a helicoil kit will be needed or go to an 8mm threaded nipple.

OK guys it's fixed.....I think ;). I didn't re-drill the hole I just re-tapped it with the 7x1 tap and the existing hole. The threads came out nice and clean and a 7x1 nipple snugged up firm. Tomorrow I'll face off the breech plug to remove those ugly peens and post up some photos but the story won't be over until it's fired.

7mm=.275" -.250"=.025"

I think you may have very shallow threads!
Can you tell me what the thread size is on a William Moore shotgun? I just recently did the same procedure on one due to rusted threads and it fired just fine, now granted it was loaded with a smaller charge than this rifle.

Can you tell me what the thread size is on a William Moore shotgun? I just recently did the same procedure on one due to rusted threads and it fired just fine, now granted it was loaded with a smaller charge than this rifle.
No idea friend.
Feltwad would be the one to ask.

Great community here. I’ve learned a lot on this one thread, and I hope I don’t ever have this experience.
It is a PITA, but sometimes you have to do what works. I didn't tell these guys that I broke the tap off in the hole when I was working on this and had to cryogenically freeze the piece in the hole and shatter it with a punch to get it out....:doh:. It happens.

The threaded breech-hole for the nipple was clearly cross-threaded and re-threaded with the improperly threaded nipple! "Drifting" the metal with a punch to tighten the hole is a "hack" move! An insert (time-sert, helicoil, etc) could be safely used. Even welding the hole shut and re-drilling and tapping would be better than what was attempted!

It is a PITA, but sometimes you have to do what works. I didn't tell these guys that I broke the tap off in the hole when I was working on this and had to cryogenically freeze the piece in the hole and shatter it with a punch to get it out....:doh:. It happens.
A hole like that would most certainly need a bottom tap, or (as you now know) you would break the tap off in the hole!

A hole like that would most certainly need a bottom tap, or (as you now know) you would break the tap off in the hole!
Yes, I was using a bottom tap, plenty of lube, and cleaned the chips regularly. All I blame it on is a cheaply made Chinese tap. The freeze method worked easily enough to get the piece out so all is well at this point.

Yes, I was using a bottom tap, plenty of lube, and cleaned the chips regularly. All I blame it on is a cheaply made Chinese tap. The freeze method worked easily enough to get the piece out so all is well at this point.
I grind my own bottom taps from the regular taps that are no longer as useful. And no CHI-NA anything unless it is a tool to be destroyed in the process of whatever I am creating (ie: Harbor Freight). Too many "good thing" accidentally "die" as a result of "bad tools"-especially screwdrivers!

I grind my own bottom taps from the regular taps that are no longer as useful. And no CHI-NA anything unless it is a tool to be destroyed in the process of whatever I am creating (ie: Harbor Freight). Too many "good thing" accidentally "die" as a result of "bad tools"-especially screwdrivers!
Here are the results before and after. I faced off the breech and removed as much of the peen marks as I could. The nipple treaded down firmly now I need to touch it up with some borwning and take it out and shoot.

Attachments

• IMGP0949.JPG
    IMGP0949.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 99
  • IMGP0952.JPG
    IMGP0952.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 103
Been there - done that. On an engine block - can be done - but it's a big PITA.
I had leakage from a helicoil - I used a solid SS one the last hole I had to re-thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back