• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blown nipple.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That poor thing has been stripped out and jerry rigged, probably with wrong thread. Not to tromp on anyone's skills, but I suggest taking to a good smith or machinist that has a mill and do the job right, insert or new nipple. The rifle is worth it.

That poor thing has been stripped out and jerry rigged, probably with wrong thread. Not to tromp on anyone's skills, but I suggest taking to a good smith or machinist that has a mill and do the job right, insert or new nipple. The rifle is worth it.
Ok, I haven't said this on the forum to this date but I am a certified gunsmith and I did face the breech with a mill. I went to gunsmithing school after I was discharged from the US navy in 1974 on the GI bill. I no longer do this work for profit just as a hobby, this is a buddies gun that I agreed to try and fix for him and I pretty sure I have. I'll let you know when I test it on Saturday.

Ok, I haven't said this on the forum to this date but I am a certified gunsmith and I did face the breech with a mill. I went to gunsmithing school after I was discharged from the US navy in 1974 on the GI bill. I no longer do this work for profit just as a hobby, this is a buddies gun that I agreed to try and fix for him and I pretty sure I have. I'll let you know when I test it on Saturday.

Understand, I have a shop for 40 years, and just didn't want to see the weapon ruined for life

Understand, I have a shop for 40 years, and just didn't want to see the weapon ruined for life
Thanks, a ruined gun isn't going to happen. I'm pretty sure the work to this point will do the job but for some reason if it doesn't I can micro weld the hole and re-drill and tap or just replace the breech plug. I'll post up the results on Saturday when I fire it.

Thanks, a ruined gun isn't going to happen. I'm pretty sure the work to this point will do the job but for some reason if it doesn't I can micro weld the hole and re-drill and tap or just replace the breech plug. I'll post up the results on Saturday when I fire it.

Ah, you got it andy, have fun.

Just got back from the range job all finished properly, no blown nipples and the gun shot fantastic.

Attachments

• IMGP0954.JPG
    IMGP0954.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 67
There are times when I doubt my skills when it comes to things like this even though I know what I'm doing. When it's a friends gun there's always the thought "what if I fail", thankfully I didn't.

I doubt you fail often, great outcome, I appreciate the fact the rifle is given life and it looks to be a productive life at that. They have character if given half a chance.

I doubt you fail often, great outcome, I appreciate the fact the rifle is given life and it looks to be a productive life at that. They have character if given half a chance.
Thank you for that, but I have, and when that happens I will eat whatever the cost is to make it right.
It is a very nice example of the resurgence of the Hawken rifle back in the early 70s and it's shoots surprisingly well. I still I'm not sure why they were advertised as .54 cal when they're 53s.

Thank you for that, but I have, and when that happens I will eat whatever the cost is to make it right.
It is a very nice example of the resurgence of the Hawken rifle back in the early 70s and it's shoots surprisingly well. I still I'm not sure why they were advertised as .54 cal when they're 53s.

I was blessed with knowing old timers that used the old rifles and smooth bores. They always referred to these rifles as big 50's. I am afraid I have the same habit, unless it is a 58 or bigger, I know some on the forum scratch their heads when I say big 50.
The first breech on a CVA, I dismantled was pure chaos and if I hadn't had some experienced machinist/ blacksmiths around it would have been a total failure, period. I wish I knew half of what they forgot.

Take it to a good gunsmith/machinist. I would not rule out sending to Hoyt
since his prices are not high--due to the screw question. Let him solve the
issues and you will come out ahead. When a bunch of cooks are messing
with the broth- maybe time for a master Chef. All good ideas here,
but this is a case of a real mess.

Take it to a good gunsmith/machinist. I would not rule out sending to Hoyt
since his prices are not high--due to the screw question. Let him solve the
issues and you will come out ahead. When a bunch of cooks are messing
with the broth- maybe time for a master Chef. All good ideas here,
but this is a case of a real mess.
Pardon me? I don't understand your post the rifle has been fixed. There weren't a bunch of cooks I was the only one working on it. Read post #47.

I have a Sante Fe as well. Interestingly enough the threads on that one has also being going sideways as well. Not sure why as I have always measured my nipples from day one and kept a log. I too am looking at retapping the threads to something larger. I will now look at the 7x1 nipple.

STOP! Break down and have a gunsmith look at it. IF the threads are still good, fine, have him install the CORRECT nipple. If the threads are no longer any good, there are OVERSIZE threaded nipples that can be installed. If that is not possible, DO NOT use a threaded insert as it will wind up in your face! At that point get a new breach plug and nipple installed, and don't try to do it yourself, or get another barrel.

Is it not amazing how many people do not read all the posts and react to something that has already been put to bed.

Kind of like people who do not listen to comprehend, they just listen for a pause so they can respond.

Is it not amazing how many people do not read all the posts and react to something that has already been put to bed.

Kind of like people who do not listen to comprehend, they just listen for a pause so they can respond.
How true, I think they read the opening post and then jump to the end without even knowing what the end result was.
This rifle was completely fixed and will be in my buddy's hands this Saturday for opening day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back