• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blowing down the barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely a toss up issue. I can see not doing it if you're in a speed shooting situation with quite a few people on the line.
My BP club says don't do it any time so being the rule I don't. Funny how it didn't take me long to just stop doing it.
Stopping it did not have any change in accuracy or loading so IMHO it's unnecessary.
The odds are very high for hot ember or super delayed ignition so the question is are the odds worth your life.
Gun safety states to never point the muzzle at anything not intended to be shot, including yourself.
I've seen hang fires that lasted upwards of 4-5 seconds. I've seen rifles laid down pointed down range go off as the shooter walked away to get tools.
I'll side with Murphy's law. Anything that can happen will eventually happen.
If you have a single shot muzzle loader and you can't remember that you just heard it go bang, maybe you shouldn't have a muzzle loader.

House guests and fish tends to get old and smell bad after three days. Old posts too, maybe but if a newbie on the forum can get some safety insights from the discussion, maybe it should run occasionally or if kept in a file, direct that newbie to old discussions. From the 70's on in Kansas most of the ml shooters blew down their barrels after shooting to soften any fouling in the high humidity state.

Didn't say the two directly relate. I'm saying we all can make mistakes, and placing a hand or face over a muzzle isn't the time to discover it.
Yes but you could say that for dumping a fresh charge or running a new ball down a bore. Just like every other step in loading a ml you can screw the pooch
You have to be safe, if your unable to tell if your shot or not maybe you should look for another hobby
To be effective you shoot, butt tge gun and blow, it’s just mechanical rhythm of shoot recover

I don't blow down the barrel. I think I'd need to understand the science and how a very minimal volume of air, blown thru a barrel at extremely low pressure, with high relative humidity but minimal volumetric moisture can actually soften fowling before the remaining heated air inside evaporates the moisture to the point where it has zero effect on the fowling created from extreme heat and pressure.

I guess if you are committed to this, you carry around and use one of those blow tubes to keep your mouth off the barrel and residue that is likely known to be a carcinogen to the smart people in CA, to maximize the air volume and pressure through the barrel. However, with the right lip-to-barrel or nipple contact, I do wonder if it is possible to blow Reveille.
Is that Hanshi??!?

I don't blow down the barrel. I think I'd need to understand the science and how a very minimal volume of air, blown thru a barrel at extremely low pressure, with high relative humidity but minimal volumetric moisture can actually soften fowling before the remaining heated air inside evaporates the moisture to the point where it has zero effect on the fowling created from extreme heat and pressure.

I guess if you are committed to this, you carry around and use one of those blow tubes to keep your mouth off the barrel and residue that is likely known to be a carcinogen to the smart people in CA, to maximize the air volume and pressure through the barrel. However, with the right lip-to-barrel or nipple contact, I do wonder if it is possible to blow Reveille.
It’s will soften fouling maybe, but the real thing is blowing out the vent. In flint that whoosh of air means no hang fires and faster fires.
In cap lock again you clear the flash path.

There are numerous examples of Civil War guns with multiple loads because soldiers didn't know they never fired.
Are you thinking a guy scared to death, which a bit of blood and gore on him from his buddies massive wound on his face, Trying to move across a killing field, under the noise of cannon, gunshot, cry’s of pain and anger, yells of sergeants and officers, drum and bugle calls is to be compared with you at the range or tall timber?
Just maybe a blow down the barrel after the missfire on the first would have revealed his gun didn’t go off, and he could have corrected that before facing the enemy with a dud gun

House guests and fish tends to get old and smell bad after three days. Old posts too, maybe but if a newbie on the forum can get some safety insights from the discussion, maybe it should run occasionally or if kept in a file, direct that newbie to old discussions. From the 70's on in Kansas most of the ml shooters blew down their barrels after shooting to soften any fouling in the high humidity state.
When you are shooting in high humidity the fouling stays soft , hot dry weather is when the fouling gets hard .

How do you load?

I was wondering the same thing myself.
For as many that say they won't put any part of themselves over the muzzle of a fired/unloaded gun, I'm wondering if they use ball starters or range rods with a (ball on the end) while loading the gun with a charge of powder in it? Or for that matter, how do they cut a patch? Not the knife hand, the hand holding the patch?

Pre-cut patches? Smoothbores with balls that drop down the bore?

I can see some of my guns I could load with my fingers a ramrod's width away from the center of the bore, but not all of them.

well if you must half to blow down a barrel, that is the end to do it on!

remember the saying-I didn't know that the gun was loaded-I didn't know that the gun would kill!

as stated it is just DARWINS THEORY. thinning out the ones from reproducing!

The way the directions that came with my muzzle loader told me to. I often wondered why some of the best muzzle loader shooters in the country didn't post on forums? Now I know why.
I don’t claim to be the smartest guy in the room but I don’t how to load a muzzle loader without at least getting my fingers and a hand in front of the muzzle and since they are body parts therefore my question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back