• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bloodied my Bedford .40 cal flintlock.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Always been a double rifle shotgun man I was thinking outside the box as I have a .600ā€ cape rifle and a .36ā€ doubles both percussion. ( Plus flintlocks ) The power of my 450-400 400 g at 2125ft sec the steel jacket expanding to 7/8ā€ I donā€™t expect this sort of power from BP even if one can hit the target at 1900 ft sec i have also a carbine where in the distant past a .410 or 10.4mm barrel of 1885 has been fitted , nice little rifle so I guess .400 is my favourite round.

having set the scene l, thinking over hot coffee , outside the box ,I thought what about a .40 or .45 hollow point lead ball that would expand in theory itā€™s possible , making it hollow point is easy as shown. Might need a location tip to ramrod. Sadly I cannot try it in uk such are our draconian gun laws but just maybe somebody across the pond might try it
It a cold miserable day in uk I look forward to seeing the occasional squirrel some quite tasty. Ha ha lovely forum I wish you well

Attachments

• 653A5DE8-0D73-4CAC-A212-BA2DCAE76AB1.jpeg
    653A5DE8-0D73-4CAC-A212-BA2DCAE76AB1.jpeg
    122.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 6DE5CFC8-B3AE-45D0-9BD6-3F995C56CF09.jpeg
    6DE5CFC8-B3AE-45D0-9BD6-3F995C56CF09.jpeg
    41 KB · Views: 43
  • 9164E84E-9358-4B90-8E8F-ED7F9810A803.jpeg
    9164E84E-9358-4B90-8E8F-ED7F9810A803.jpeg
    57 KB · Views: 35
Thereā€™s a bit of stuff on google about a hollow point round ball but itā€™s just conversation and theory , nobody has tried it , agree itā€™s ramrod must centre the hollow of it will wobble in flight but if it makes a .40 ball into 5/8ā€on impact itā€™s worth thinking about. Do wish I could try it in uk. Sometimes daft things work sometimes they donā€™t. Either way great good fun. Like trying to make fast BP. If only !!!!!!!šŸ˜³šŸ˜³šŸ˜³šŸ˜³šŸ˜³

" Thereā€™s a bit of stuff on google about a hollow point round ball but itā€™s just conversation and theory , nobody has tried it , agree itā€™s ramrod must centre the hollow of it will wobble in flight but if it makes a .40 ball into 5/8ā€on impact itā€™s worth thinking about. Do wish I could try it in uk. Sometimes daft things work sometimes they donā€™t. Either way great good fun. Like trying to make fast BP. If only !!!!!!!šŸ˜³šŸ˜³šŸ˜³šŸ˜³šŸ˜³"

Thompson Center Arms began selling ramrod attachments decades ago that when the ball or conical was rammed home cut and X and a few other designs on the soft lead bullet in an attempt to help the projectile expand better. That was self centering in the bore. On a PRB I doubt it is necessary or beneficial, as it could hinder penetration if it flattens out too much. I used to drill a hollow point with the drill press into the MaxiHunter bullets I cast. Not deep, but enough to promote a bit more of a mushroom in the 50 caliber. They were centered well and did not effect accuracy any. Still, with a well placed shot it really wasn't necessary. I was just being anal about getting more out of the shot on game. Always tinkering was more like it.

" Thereā€™s a bit of stuff on google about a hollow point round ball but itā€™s just conversation and theory , nobody has tried it , agree itā€™s ramrod must centre the hollow of it will wobble in flight but if it makes a .40 ball into 5/8ā€on impact itā€™s worth thinking about. Do wish I could try it in uk. Sometimes daft things work sometimes they donā€™t. Either way great good fun. Like trying to make fast BP. If only !!!!!!!šŸ˜³šŸ˜³šŸ˜³šŸ˜³šŸ˜³"

Thompson Center Arms began selling ramrod attachments decades ago that when the ball or conical was rammed home cut and X and a few other designs on the soft lead bullet in an attempt to help the projectile expand better. That was self centering in the bore. On a PRB I doubt it is necessary or beneficial, as it could hinder penetration if it flattens out too much. I used to drill a hollow point with the drill press into the MaxiHunter bullets I cast. Not deep, but enough to promote a bit more of a mushroom in the 50 caliber. They were centered well and did not effect accuracy any. Still, with a well placed shot it really wasn't necessary. I was just being anal about getting more out of the shot on game. Always tinkering was more like it.
Of course you yanks already solved the problem of smoothbores, magic. I wish you well.

Attachments

• 2AF3AF93-8A26-4BBF-B5A2-892D79EC6C85.jpeg
    2AF3AF93-8A26-4BBF-B5A2-892D79EC6C85.jpeg
    84.5 KB · Views: 42

Tinkering is great fun I live for it thinking outside the box. Remember a great man said imagination is more important than education

There is absolutely no need to make a round ball a hollow point...A soft, lead ball flattens easily when it hits it's target....

Congrats on the doe!!!

There is absolutely no need to make a round ball a hollow point...A soft, lead ball flattens easily when it hits it's target....

Congrats on the doe!!!
Yes agree you know far more than me on muzzle loaders but you need hard lead for penetration. And .4 balls, which we were discussing , are tiny things so you need the hardness for penetration then the hollow for expansion. Itā€™s just thinking outside the box and thatā€™s makes progress. Interestingly I read conversations but nobody has actually tried it. Itā€™s a cold hard frost here in UK white everywhere I wish you well

Yes agree you know far more than me on muzzle loaders but you need hard lead for penetration. And .4 balls, which we were discussing , are tiny things so you need the hardness for penetration then the hollow for expansion. Itā€™s just thinking outside the box and thatā€™s makes progress. Interestingly I read conversations but nobody has actually tried it. Itā€™s a cold hard frost here in UK white everywhere I wish you well
Holy Cow!! Nobody told them 200 years ago that they needed hollow points!!! How did they EVER kill deer then?

To me the point of using a flintlock muzzle loader is to try to get as close to the past as I can. If I wanted/needed to use modern type equipment, I would use modern equipment.

And by the way, this deer did not realize that it had been killed by a 0.40 cal soft lead round ball, WITHOUT a hollow point.

Nice job Congrats...was going to buy a 40 cal, but was not sure how it would do on deer...Now I know...
Thank you. I don't think you would be disappointed with a .40 cal. You just have to be more patient and let the deer get in close.

Holy Cow!! Nobody told them 200 years ago that they needed hollow points!!! How did they EVER kill deer then?

To me the point of using a flintlock muzzle loader is to try to get as close to the past as I can. If I wanted/needed to use modern type equipment, I would use modern equipment.

And by the way, this deer did not realize that it had been killed by a 0.40 cal soft lead round ball, WITHOUT a hollow point.
Haha lovely try. I cannot disagree happy Xmas Itā€™s whatever makes you happy that counts .

I've killed Virginia whitetails with .390, .440 and .530 balls, nope, soft lead round balls, driven at the moderate velocities of a flintlock give plenty of penetration to go deep into the lungs of our smaller, eastern whitetails...With lung shots, they usually sprint off, 40-80 yards and fall over, funny, they do about the same with a well placed broad head or a jacked bullet out of a centerfire rifle....

For me this has been an important and interesting conversation thank you all very much If an 96g. .40 ball can kill a deer. One day I will have no problem hunting with my .36, 1886. Double percussion rifle. Itā€™s been a bit of a worry no being able to shoot it in uk, Iā€™ll never get a police certificate in UK at 78 to shoot it , but I can dream. I recall itā€™s around 1/38ā€ twist so itā€™s more for bullets than tiny ball. Made up a number of bullets and moulds to test up to 280g. But it seems the little .35 140g Sierra pistol bullets will be more than ideal , I add grease grooves and other fun bits to the various bullets on my little lathe. So for me this has been an utterly brilliant string. Thanks so much. Happy Xmas

Attachments

• C4A512BB-7A1A-485F-9C57-4BB0FF16BB95.jpeg
    C4A512BB-7A1A-485F-9C57-4BB0FF16BB95.jpeg
    109.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 5AD24805-88B9-4253-90AC-EDEDA65FA365.jpeg
    5AD24805-88B9-4253-90AC-EDEDA65FA365.jpeg
    108 KB · Views: 36
  • 3A8B872E-7988-4607-A3B3-E1F88A22D8A0.jpeg
    3A8B872E-7988-4607-A3B3-E1F88A22D8A0.jpeg
    202.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 7D04B684-218C-4F8E-925A-9096B16FD147.jpeg
    7D04B684-218C-4F8E-925A-9096B16FD147.jpeg