Blanket

Discussion in 'Clothing' started by Terry Jack, Aug 11, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Aug 11, 2019 #1

Terry Jack

Terry Jack

Terry Jack

36 Cl. MLF Supporter

What is the best size blanket to carry as a bedroll?
    Terry

2. Aug 11, 2019 #2

Cruzatte

Cruzatte

Cruzatte

50 Cal.

It depends upon the weather you think you'll encounter, and the area in which you'll be camping. I don't think I'd want a 4 point wool blanked in Arkansas summers.

However in Montana, that may just be the right size if you're up in the mountains in July. For winter camping in Montana, well...I've never been there. So you'd probably want something more, I'd guess.

3. Aug 11, 2019 #3

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

Being of chiefly build myself a three and a half or four point size, 60x90 72x90 ,makes a taco (pita) for me. Ok,but not the best.
    A six point size I can bundle and thus get a lot more blanket out of one.
    I can lay on it diagonal, fold the bottom corner over my feet wrap the left over me and then roll to my left giving me two layers underneath, then repeat with the right side giving me two layers on top and three below, then fold the top over my head.I've slept in my great coat more then once. Warped in blankets too.
    Only trouble with that is night time water calls.
    Making a bed underneath you is very important.
    I’ve not been on a below freezing trek for at least ten years.
    In a camp at an event thats got below freezing I carry four blankets and try to sleep on straw.

4. Aug 13, 2019 #4

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Cannon MLF Supporter

Yep, that's what I've found too...
    There is a "good sleep when trekking" and then there is a "good sleep in a fixed camp". They are not the same.
    I use an even smaller blanket when trekking, carried tumpline style. It's a "match coat" and it covers my head, wraps around my torso, and ends just above my knees. It makes a great pack when trekking, and I supplement it with a couple pairs of knit leggings, in addition to the leggings that I wear, plus thick wool socks, all for sleeping. This is because the blanket will not cover all of me. I lose a lot of the bulk for ease of hiking. My shelter cloth over top of me will keep me dry. Sometimes in very heavy rain I have to sleep balled-up, or partially balled-up, covered, laying against a tree. NOT a good sleep but better than if I was cold and wet. ;)

You can carry a larger blanket by carrying it over-the-shoulder, instead of with a tumpline. Sort of a la Confederate Infantry of the ACW. I never liked that, even when I was doing Confederate Infantry reenacting. The blanket was pretty thick, and very hot. Looked great when it came to taking pictures, but as for hiking comfort, not so much.

In a fixed camp, I use a cloth sack filled with straw as a mattress, and several blankets and a pillow (and I sleep quite well), but if I was travelling 18th century style, I'd need a pack horse to carry all my "fixed camp" bedding.

LD

Nyckname and tenngun like this.
  5. Aug 13, 2019 #5

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

Yeah I tried that blanket horse shoe style.... personally I think southern soldiers carrying blankets that way was why the south lost:p.
    I’ve got a good sized snap sack with a buckle on the strap. So I can open it and wrap my blanket and ground cloth, tie it and hang it all on one strap.