• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blanket wadding

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Recall a passage from one of the mountain man journal describing a fight with Indians and saying their blanket wads were falling among us.
I’ve used old blanket scraps for wads and they work well. Grease them before use and they won’t burn, or get much of an smell.
One of the old shooing guides from the eighteenth century recommend felt from the inside of an old saddle. While not blanket it was felted wool

Why not?
You could be sitting on a lifetime supply.
But with those old blankets,, it's gonna take more than a single slice to make a decent wad for the performance we all expect today.
Slice away, burn some powder an sling some shot,, let us know how it works out,, 😉

p.s. try an arch punch,, they make round things

Pure wool they will work great! As said wash in hot water tumble dry hot that fulls the felt of the blanket making it tighter and stronger. Punch them out and lube bingo fantastic wads cheap.

Burnt felt wads??? Huh???

I was kinda wondering about the burnt felt wad thing.
Don't we use the heck out of those things with a little lube soaked in them?

wm

Back