• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blank Length

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metalshaper

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Friends,

Need to ask a question,, what would be the minimum legth required for a stock blank, in order to make a double flint < or percussion> shotgun??

I was given a walnut blank. It was harvested localy and has been seasoned for about 6-8 yrs. The thickness is 3", the width about 11" and the length is about 26-27" Is this enough to get a stock made?? While not highly figured, I think it would make a nice stock..

I already have the barrels. a 12 gauge pairing < might have prefered 20's> but, you do with what you were given.. ::

Thanks for any help!!

Respect Always
Metalshaper

That might barely make it. The critical thng on a double is the grain flow. Looking from the side, if it is not curved from the lock & go down thru the wrist then it will not make a good one, as with a double you are taking allot of wood out for locks & etc & as everyone knows, lots of doubles found with cracked & broken wrists. Looking from the top you want straight grain flow from tip to tip & same way on the bottom.
Considering that, there is no way I would go thru all the work & expense of having a double made or build it myself unless the wood grain was perfect for it. Makes no dif how pertty it is or color, price, free, or nothing.... if the grain is wrong don't do it..... :m2c:

Birddog,

Thanks for the suggestion, to watch for the flow of the grain . After reading your post, I went and copied a pattern onto some plexi. I am in the progess of cleaning up the sides of the blank ( as they were only rough cut and kinda fuzzy.) once I have a clearer look, I'll lay the pattern on and see what I adjustment, if any, I can make..

Thanks for the helpful reminder!!

Respect Always
Metalshaper

Back