• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blackpowder hare

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spent the day hunting with my neighbor and his beagles in the short Pa season for snowshoe hare. The morning was slow, but picked up in the afternoon. The dogs finally struck scent, and the hare quickly took them 400 yards out. Then it was fun and games as the hare teased them out another 500 yards before heading back to his starting point. The dogs were sill over 100 yards out picking at the scent when I saw the hare trying to sneak by. 20 yards out the Pedersoli barked and I had my first hare, and with a blackpowder gun.View attachment 111860
Good job. Id see those this time of year hunting late season Grouse up in your neck of the woods.
James

As a kid in the 1950's , we used to stay at a hunting camp in N. C. Pa. There was a hemlock pine woods up the hollow close to camp w/ laurel and a small stream running through it. Amazingly , there were snow shoe hares living there. They disappeared with the introduction of coyotes , bobcats , mountain lions , pine martins , and the many other predatory birds under govt. protection. The hairs were not particularly skittish. They could be easily discovered by a curious kid in winter , due to their white winter color. ...................oldwood

In Maine the cottontail is protected but the snowshoe hare is fair game with no closed season, IIRC.

I would be interested to see how the soup goes. Some people think rabbit and hare are interchangeable, they are as different as chicken to beef though. We don't get those snowshoe hare type things here, just european hare but they're a deep red meat and for me too strong in game taste. My dog loves it though. If there is a way to do it I'd like to know though.

Our hares
View attachment 111862
I'm guessing you're in Australia?

Back