• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blackpowder hare

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Spent the day hunting with my neighbor and his beagles in the short Pa season for snowshoe hare. The morning was slow, but picked up in the afternoon. The dogs finally struck scent, and the hare quickly took them 400 yards out. Then it was fun and games as the hare teased them out another 500 yards before heading back to his starting point. The dogs were sill over 100 yards out picking at the scent when I saw the hare trying to sneak by. 20 yards out the Pedersoli barked and I had my first hare, and with a blackpowder gun.
snowshoe hare.jpg

Hows them big rabbits eat, are they like the eastern cotton tail. Be heading out in a week or two for rabbits, once deer season closes. I feel like Jerimah Johnson getting ready for bufflers.

My load was 7/8 ounces of 7 shot over 75 grains of 3F. Cylinder choke

The rabbit will be given to one of the ladies from our gun club who will turn it into a wonderful soup this summer.

I would be interested to see how the soup goes. Some people think rabbit and hare are interchangeable, they are as different as chicken to beef though. We don't get those snowshoe hare type things here, just european hare but they're a deep red meat and for me too strong in game taste. My dog loves it though. If there is a way to do it I'd like to know though.

Our hares
20211107_194334.jpg

Funny story about hares, way back when during a NATO exercise in Germany myself and another sgt. were riding along in a jeep scouting for a place too set up a communications site, I yell at the driver too stop so he does and asks me what the problem was, I show him this big rabbit sitting along the road, he looks at me and and very polite like calls me a dumb a@@ Marine telling me that is a hare not a rabbit. So I tell him it is the biggest rabbit I ever seen, and down the road we go.

Nice one! We have cottontails here, but I don’t shoot them because my wife doesn’t eat rabbit.

The first time I took my girlfriend (now wife) to meet my family dad cooked a "chicken stew". After eating it I told her what it early was but by then she had to agree it was delicious!

As long as they've had a 24 hour brine no one should dislike rabbit!

The first time I took my girlfriend (now wife) to meet my family dad cooked a "chicken stew". After eating it I told her what it early was but by then she had to agree it was delicious!

As long as they've had a 24 hour brine no one should dislike rabbit!
It’s not that, my wife grew up Adventist. They eat similarly to Jews, but don’t need food blessed and don’t do the milk meat separation thing. The smell of shrimp makes her want to ralph. Rabbit might taste good, but isn’t on the menu. Deer, quail, turkey, dove, elk, and trout are, but cougar, bear, squirrel and peccary aren’t. I’m a little weird about wanting to share what I kill with my family so I don’t hunt those off limit animals. She says bacon smells good, but won’t eat it.

One of my neighbors was a retired Mich. forestry engineer. He said when things got slow in the winter , they used to hunt snow shoe hares by reaching into road pipes w/ a welding glove and remove unsuspecting hares and invite them for supper. supper.

That’s awesome! I never seen a hare in Pa. just cotton tails. I guess I gotta go to northern Pa for that.

Spent the day hunting with my neighbor and his beagles in the short Pa season for snowshoe hare. The morning was slow, but picked up in the afternoon. The dogs finally struck scent, and the hare quickly took them 400 yards out. Then it was fun and games as the hare teased them out another 500 yards before heading back to his starting point. The dogs were sill over 100 yards out picking at the scent when I saw the hare trying to sneak by. 20 yards out the Pedersoli barked and I had my first hare, and with a blackpowder gun.View attachment 111860
a rely nice picture! a rabbit any of them will allways after the dogs strikes them they will allways return the spot where that they were struck, be patient and get ready, you will hear the hounds comming back, that is what HARE hunting is, just great!

Latest posts

Back