• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Blackpowder fouling comparison

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaeger

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently bought a can of DuPont FFFG blackpowder from another club member. The can and label appear to be old, which is really why I bought it from him. The powder contained in it may or may not have been original or actually made by DuPont. I used the powder recently at the range, and it performed very well: instant ignition, etc., but I noticed that after about 4 shots with a "spit patch" and round ball, the fouling in the bore was making reloading difficult. Before using this powder, I have been using a container of Goex FFFG, and I can actually do 9-10 shots without wiping the bore. Here's my question: What has been the experience of forum members regarding different brands of blackpowder and the fouling they produce? Have youse guys noticed a big difference between brands? Come to think of it, the DuPont powder seems to match the fouling of most other brands I've used, and the Goex may be the standout. What say ye?

My experience is with 3fff KIK and Olde Ensford 2ff. The 3fff KIK left a hard fouling ring right where the powder and ball met after 3 or 4 shots and it became very hard to seat the ball. When I switched to 2ff Olde Ensford my problems went away and now I can shoot 10 to 20 times without wiping or running a nylon bore bush down to break up the fouling. This is with my .40 caliber SMR.

I've noticed a bigger difference from changes in humidity than change in brands. I have several cans each of DuPont 2f and 3f dated 1971 through 1973, and they perform no different really than my contemporary Goex 2f and 3f. But let the humidity make a big jump up or down the scale, and loading can change.

Save the can, they have collectors value.
Powders do vary. I don't doubt your findings at all. But, swabbing between shots should be standard procedure for all shooters.
I recently used some Swiss and found it is much cleaner than Goex. And the residue is nearly white.

Yes, Rifleman, I am saving the DuPont can...as I said, that's the real reason I bought it. It's a narrow, red can with a smallish screw cap. The label is mostly intact, and it has a 1927 patent date on it. Don't know if that's how old the can is. I retired from DuPont, so it's a keepsake for me.

In addition to the humidity I found that Diamondback is as bad as the old Elephant in very high humidity.., which makes since as it's the same stuff in a different package... and that is all that we have here in the summer, very high humidity. Nasty stuff, blanks or live fire.

Since GOEX has produced "reenactor grade" powder, which costs the same per pound as Diamondback did where I can buy powder, I have switched over to that for blanks, and it is much cleaner than the Diamondback.

My group has saved old GOEX cans, and now that we have 25 of them, we can save $2 a pound and buy GOEX in bulk, then refil the cans...so our total cost (counting $ for gas for the guy who procures it from the dealer) is $12 per pound.

Sure beats the otc price of $25 per pound!

LD

Back