• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blackley Queen Anne pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am currently awaiting a Queen Anne pistol kit from E.J. Blackley. The pistol is a breech loaded turn off or screw barrel type. The intended RB is supposed to be .63 caliber swaged fit, with the breech of the pistol measuring .625 caliber which tapers to .60 caliber at the muzzle.
I have sailed the high seas of the interwebs and consulted the great oracle of Google and still can't seem to be able to locate a commercially available round ball mold in .63 diameter. Does anyone know anywhere that has them, or is it likely something that I will have to have custom made through Lee or similar? I was unable to even find pre-made round ball shot in the right caliber. I found one shop that has some .625 diameter, but I am not sure that would be a tight enough fit at the breech.
Any thoughts would be appreciated, and my thanks in advance!

Jeff

Jeff Tanner's son is continuing with his father's business, and makes V good brass moulds any size you want.
He's in the UK but ships fast anywhere.
Over here, Dixie make those scissor-type moulds any size you want as well. I have a couple and one of Jeff's.

I also have an old original pistol of what seems the very close to the size you are getting.
It is a V early William Bailes, (Russel Street, address) though converted to percussion.
This one holds 45 grains of powder, and is very powerful with the ball being swaged down as it exits the barrel.
I'd be very interested to see your kit if possible.
Kevin can be a bit slow though. It took him 2 years to not get me some parts cast. (was told a month or so)

All the best,
Richard.

Richard,
Thanks for the reply and the thoughts. I had sort of figured that I would end up having to have a mold set made up for me. Seems like it is a bit of an odd size unfortunately.
The original pistol for the castings I will be receiving is of a Gill from the city of Richmond I believe.
I had placed my order in the middle of January this year and have been prepared for a bit of a wait. I have been pleased with the communication and assistance that I have gotten thus far from Kevin and from the sound of the update that I got last week all parts are cast and ready with the exception of the frame which was part of a bad casting session that they were going to be re-pouring last week or this week. The only thing left after that is mating the breech and barrel. So hopefully sooner than later! Either way I will certainly post some pictures and am looking forward to the build.

Thanks again, Jeff

Very good Jeff.

I look forward to your photos when the parts arrive, And your work progress!
Is this one a boxlock? If so, a little easier to put together.
DSCN2398.JPG
DSCN1570.JPG
Mine is a sidelock, but needed parts, (trigger and guard, and had to repair the scear)

I received a Tanner mold that cast an oblong ball. Kind of disappointing. Very nice mold, and might have worked okay in a rifle, but I really don't want to throw a tumbling ball from my musket. The dixie molds, I've received really good ones, but one time a mold that cast a pear-shaped ball. ?? My dixie .575" mold casts a very nice ball.

I have a couple Jeff Tanner moulds in odd sizes. All of them throw perfect roundball. I really like the way the brass moulds heat up fast.

Back