• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blackening Brass Problem and open Question.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephenprops1

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been restoring an old FIE 45 caliber muzzleloading rifle. I wanted to blacken the brass on it for something different. I used Brass Black solution by Birchwood Casey. All of the brass blackened nicely with one or two applications of the solution except the patchbox. I have worked on it so many times I have grown very frustrated. I removed a coat of lacquer and have buffed the patchbox with fine steel wool several times. I then cleaned it with Birchwood Casey cleaning solution or alcohol. Every time I apply a new treatment, I am getting very unsatisfactory results. Have any of you successfully blackened brass before? If yes, how did you achieve good results?

Are you getting a mottled finish or just not dark enough? I do not have any experience with that stuff but I wonder if that patchbox material isn’t brass.

deerstalkert posted while I was typing! I’d try his suggestion.

Ive used vinegar. Put some in a zip top baggie. Not much just a little in the bottom. Then put your brass in the top of the bag and set it over a box or something so its not touching the liquid vinegar. In just a few hours the vinegar fumes turn it darker and if you leave it overnight it’ll be black. Just remember dont try to submerse it. The fumes are what do the trick

Ive used vinegar. Put some in a zip top baggie. Not much just a little in the bottom. Then put your brass in the top of the bag and set it over a box or something so its not touching the liquid vinegar. In just a few hours the vinegar fumes turn it darker and if you leave it overnight it’ll be black. Just remember dont try to submerse it. The fumes are what do the trick
Thanks. I did try letting it soak in vinegar. It failed. I will try your way.

Are you getting a mottled finish or just not dark enough? I do not have any experience with that stuff but I wonder if that patchbox material isn’t brass.

deerstalkert posted while I was typing! I’d try his suggestion.
Yes. It is coming up splotchy in different areas. --- I tried the magnet test and the magnet does not stick to the brass. Of course there could be aluminum and brass.

For small brass parts which can be detached, the BC Brass Black product works better if the parts are heated first.

Here are some pictures of my FIE Canoe Gun Project. - The first one is of the gun as I acquired it. The second is of the tear down. The third picture is of the trigger guard (that blackened nicely) and the troublesome patch box. The 4th and 5th pictures are of the semi-completed gun. My wife was nagging me about the time I have spent on this project. I put it together to make her happy for a little while. I am not done with this project. I need replacement screws when I can find them. I can shoot the gun now so, when I get to it, I will test fire it again. --- I did shoot it before starting this project. ---- Thanks to everyone for your comments and suggestions.

Attachments

• 001 FIE 45 caliber muzzle loader as aquired.jpg
    001 FIE 45 caliber muzzle loader as aquired.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 002 FIE Initial Tear Down.jpg
    002 FIE Initial Tear Down.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg