• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black walnut hulls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNtrapper

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Howdy all! Ive got some linnen shirts that I need to dye. Used up all my hulls I had saved up last fall. Is there any good source where I can find some to buy? Ive got some logwood powder for dying my traps....but havent ever used it on fabric.Anybody ever tried it? Thanks a lot yall!.......TN

Ritberries are the answer. They are in season year around. Go to a store that has a good selection because you will need a couple of special colors.

Do not use the brown or black colors. They tend to go to red abnd purple undertomes.

You need one pack of Pearl Grey and one pack of Kaki mixed together. These two colors smooth each other out and duplicate the results I have achieved with walnut hulls.

Our walnut hulls in this region tend to go to black, so I sometimes use just the pearl grey and duplicate the natural results almost to perfection.

Mix in hot water, in a large plastic bucket (3-5 gal), and add two cups of salt. Let them soak overnight.

Use a test scrap first just in case. If you don't like the color you are only out a couple of $$.

ghost said:
Ritberries are the answer. They are in season year around. Go to a store that has a good selection because you will need a couple of special colors.

Do not use the brown or black colors. They tend to go to red abnd purple undertomes.

You need one pack of Pearl Grey and one pack of Kaki mixed together. These two colors smooth each other out and duplicate the results I have achieved with walnut hulls.

Our walnut hulls in this region tend to go to black, so I sometimes use just the pearl grey and duplicate the natural results almost to perfection.

Mix in hot water, in a large plastic bucket (3-5 gal), and add two cups of salt. Let them soak overnight.

Use a test scrap first just in case. If you don't like the color you are only out a couple of $$.

:hmm: *GASP!* :shocked2: Heresy! :blah:

The ritberry groves are very common here in the South.I can also suggest black and forest green for that wonderfully s*%# brown color of which the walnut hulls are so enamored.I assume you are talking about linen.For myself as native I only wear smoked braintan leggings and don't dye them although a friend who makes those great Lakes quilled bags and knife sheaths does and they look great.
Tom Patton, to whom heresy is a virtue :v :bow:

Sumac will be fruiting pretty soon. Boil those berry clusters down for a nice soft grey color. Wait, is your linen already grey? Ne'mine...

LeatherMoose said:
Boil those berry clusters down for a nice soft grey color..

Sumac will turn grey if boild in an iron pot, or if iron is added. In untainted containers it tends to stay red.

That's the problem with natural dying...too many variables affect color.

Mike Roberts said:
ghost said:

:hmm: *GASP!* :shocked2: Heresy! :blah:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

The staff at Mansker's Station, Martin Station, Ft Loudoun, Sycamore Shoals or Point Pleasant never knew the diference!

:blah: :blah:

TNtrapper,

PM me. We have 200+ acres of black walnut. I'll send you as much as you need. Might take me a day or two to get back to you. October is the best time to get the huska (when they fall off). This will get you the most product per shipping cost. I've used green ones still on the nut and have had the same result. Just more expensive to ship.

Heck, if anyone else needs some give me a holler later in the year.

Charcloth

some info on Logwood dying from another forum:
"I took a large graniteware canning pot, with about two gallon of water, one package of Blue Heron's Logwood dye and cooked it to a boil on my brazier. I added a piece of steel wool to the mix and imersed a pre WETTED linen shirt in the solution for about 2 hours. What came out after multiple rinsings was a handsome CHOCOLATE brown coloured shirt. it has been worn quite a bit and washed several times. the color seems to be fast and unfading."

"There are 2 logwoods - the logwood granules or crystals and the "real" wood logwood.
Logwood with alum mordant gives a rich purple. Its fastness is iffy unless one adds a bit more of other mordants. It's real value at the time is both a rich navy and black (use an iron mordant)...

re walnut hulls:
If you can't wait to take up charcloth on his generous offer doa Google search for Walnut Dye - there are severl vendors offering it online. Or check the classifieds in Muzzleloader magazine - there are two or three vendors offering them

hope this helps.......

Thanks yall! Ended up ordering some ground black walnut hulls from Turkey Foot Trading Co.Never used the ground up ones though. Ya reckon I had better put these in a bag to keep the ground up hulls from getting all over everything?Have a good un yall!!!!......................TN

If you want to avoid streaks from the ground hulls, put them in the leg from a pair of pantyhose. Sometimes those ground hulls are pretty fine.

So, how exactly do you go about collecting the Black Walnut hulls for using as a dye? My parents have an old Black Walnut tree growing next to their house, and the only thing the walnuts or hulls have been used for is as a 'fetch' ball for the dogs :p

G

Greycat said:
So, how exactly do you go about collecting the Black Walnut hulls for using as a dye? My parents have an old Black Walnut tree growing next to their house, and the only thing the walnuts or hulls have been used for is as a 'fetch' ball for the dogs :p

G

What I have done was to take the hulled walnuts and smash them with a baseball bat or my wife's dress shoes to get the walnuts out, set them aside to dry... (they can be broken open and used in cooking)

The more hulls, the stronger the dye will be, you can delute it with water if it gets too dark...

Take the smashed hulls and place them in a container of water and bring them to a boil... (didn't need to worry much about doing this outside since I already used my wife's dress shoes to smash them, you may choose to do otherwise)

Cool the liquid and then strain out the hulls and replace the pot back on the heat...

Simmer the items to be dyed in this liquid until the shade of brown you desire is obtained...

Once done, rinse in cool clean water and hang to dry...

That's how I did it... :grin:

I should add, the hulls will turn your hands and fingers brown as well when you collect and smash them, you may need to use your wife's rubber kitchen gloves too... :haha:

So basically just get the outer hull off, regardless of how? Does it matter if the hull/nut has dried on the ground a bit? I may just take a 5-gallon bucket over to Mother's and have her toss them in it whenever she's straightening up the yard :)

G

Greycat said:
So basically just get the outer hull off, regardless of how? Does it matter if the hull/nut has dried on the ground a bit? I may just take a 5-gallon bucket over to Mother's and have her toss them in it whenever she's straightening up the yard :)

G

As simple as that... :thumbsup:

If I'm feeling lazy or pressed for time I just rough up the green hulls enough to break the outer skin then throw them in a 5 gal. bucket with a lid. If the walnuts have turned black I just toss them in also. Put the coverd bucket in the sun for a few days (or whenever I get back to it), strain and use.
However, I think that you will get a darker, richer dye if you take your time and follow Musketmans directions, using the dress shoes at your peril :haha:

Back