• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Black Squirrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My daughter lives in Michigan. They have black fox squirrels there. I want one really bad. That’s about as high on my bucket list as you can get. Hopefully at Christmas I’ll be able to hunt them. I mmmmmissed one last Christmas.

And as I am a taxidermist, I will mount it😉
BA99F1A0-C817-4242-B4BA-CEB560D71CF0.jpeg

We have a good population of Fox Squirrels where in hunt in Hoke County, Southeastern NC. They vary in color: black with white noses or feet, grey, brown/brindled. They are about 50% larger than the typical grey squirrels.

My son outside Jefferson City MO has black squirrels in his yard. A decade ago in a neighborhood in Oneonta NY there were a group of albino squirrels.
Davenport NY east of oneonta

Attachments

• 20220317_080850_resized_20220317-081026.jpg
    20220317_080850_resized_20220317-081026.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
When I lived in Omaha, Ne. (54 yrs ago) We had an occasonial Black Phase Fox Squirrel in our Neiborhood. Now that Neighborhood is about 75% Black phase.Been living about 40 mi. south for 53 yrs. beginning to see an occasional Black, and the Grays are moving north. Grays a very noticabily smaller. On a sunny Winters day I will see all 3 feeding on acorns and Hickory nuts at my Cabin at Warsaw,Mo. (326 mi. south of Home) I'm jealous as Hell of their arboristic talents. I have tried every thing to start Oak & Hickorys from nuts.JUST Can't do it. But let a Squirrel spit one on the ground, Seems to grow before he finishes covering it.Got 5 Black Walnut trees to prove it. Maybe I should gather a bucket of Acorns and Hickory nuts and leave them in the tree row .Maybe the little Buggers will plant a few for me........Be Safe >>>>>>>>>>Wally

In my area, NW Connecticut, i see them often, but there many more grays. Along a 1.5 mile stretch of rural road leaving from my house, I might see 1 or 2 and dozens of grays.
The 1st one I ever saw was 18 or so years ago in People's Forest off Beaver Brook "road."
I've wanted to get one and have it mounted on a board like a full bear mount, with one paw on the biggest acorn I can find and the other up in the air like it is striking at something,,, just for a laugh.
Still haven't gotten a good shot at one while bowhunting deer, and won't risk shooting at one while deer hunting with my muzzleloader.

On the other end of the spectrum, Brevard NC has a well-known population of white grey squirrels. These are not albinos but a genetic color modification that allows them to reproduce and retain their white colored fur. Some have grey streaks or spots but most are solid white. They have a yearly festival for the white squirrels. They are, of course, legally protected from being harmed.

While I was out deer hunting today I ran into some black color morph squirrels. I’ve seen these once or twice before and I was wondering how common these are? I wasn’t able to bag one today but I hope to in the future. How rare is the group I found today?

-10 Ga
I saw them years ago near Connecticut River Valley close to river. (1980-90s?) Never seen them in the hills on either side of the river.

Do black squirrels matter? In the crock pot?

It don't matter if they are in my berries/orchard/garden either...........tree rats all of them with ground rats too. I'm not prejudicious , I shoot them all.

If I don't eat them (tree rats), the foxes will get supper free without working for it.

Last edited:
About 10 years ago, Garnavillo, Iowa had fox squirrels with white tails in their city park.

Wow! That “whitetail” is an interesting color morph. I wonder how those lighter morphs fair with avian predators.

I first saw melanistic phase (black ) squirrels in Toronto. Then I saw them in Rochester. Now I have them in my area, with 20% black to grey squirrels. I have had inbred hybrids with all sorts of variations; grey with black tails, black with grey tails, and a mottled auburn color. They are all normal grey squirrels with that gene derivation.

They all taste the same, adjust your salt/pepper ratio to compensate.

ADK Bigfoot

Last edited:
My hometown of Marysville, KS is the official city of the black squirrels. They’re quite the big deal up there

Marysville KS is where I saw my first black squirrel. I believe they are melanistic fox squirrels. I used to work at a landscape company that did some jobs up that way. Those black squirrels were jumping around some of the yards I was working in. As hunters I think we are observers of nature, and it is interesting to see how diverse a basic prey species like squirrels can be.

Marysville KS is where I saw my first black squirrel. I believe they are melanistic fox squirrels. I used to work at a landscape company that did some jobs up that way. Those black squirrels were jumping around some of the yards I was working in. As hunters I think we are observers of nature, and it is interesting to see how diverse a basic prey species like squirrels can be.
What I’ve found odd about the squirrels in Marysville is they haven’t really expanded their range. I grew up on a farm about 6 miles outside of town and we never saw one. Never really heard people talk about them being outside of town either. I spent a lot of time on the big blue river and nary a one.

Back