• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black Squirrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In any case, it seems the black squirrels show up in the northern half of the central and eastern part of the U. S. I remember back in 1980 living in Denver, telling people about black squirrels. They thought I was crazy. LOL

Northcentral Pennsylvania has black squirrels. We see them occasionally, not often. They behave differently than greys or fox squirrels. Just about every time one appears at a distance I get excited, because at first I think it’s a fisher. I’m due for a black squirrel mount, maybe I’ll take one when I finally trap a fisher and put them together. Most of my taxidermy has predators and prey together. The black squirrel here is something hunters talk about but don’t do much about.

When I was a kid in NW Iowa I shot many squirrels.This was during the 1960's.I'd see black ones occasionally also.We farmed and my father said he had never seen these before.He was born in 1915.
So when he retired he had one mounted and I inhereted it after his death.
There are towns in NW Iowa that have many many black squirrels.
hLJzYpR.jpg

Growing up in the UP the dominant squirrel species was what we called ared squirrel. I guess because they had a reddish color. Every now and then id see one that was black.

Moving out west i found that same species but refered to here as a pine squirrel and with a more grayish color. Haven't seen a black one here though.

They are still here! 😀 they live amongst the ponderosa pines and are fairly common in some places. The season opens November 15th. I usually get after them at least once. Not always successful.

View attachment 168758
That looks like a cross between a rabbit and a squirrel. If one showed up here, some folks I know would give up the bottle.

While I was out deer hunting today I ran into some black color morph squirrels. I’ve seen these once or twice before and I was wondering how common these are? I wasn’t able to bag one today but I hope to in the future. How rare is the group I found today?

-10 Ga

When I lived in Georgia (I'm a native) I never saw any truly black phase "grays". I also hunted fox squirrels and saw several of their color phases. I saw some nearly all white, some mostly black ones, a few that somehow "silver" looking and then there were plenty of the usual colored ones. The one I have mounted is of that default pattern. Miss being in Georgia and going after them.

Had seen a few in New York in years past but they are showing up here in Vermont. I have at least two near one of my treestands, go this pic of one when I checked my Sd cards today. W
Black Squirrel.JPG
When I moved here 40 years ago rarely ever saw a grey squirrel

While finishing up harvest yesterday, I was putting the trucks away and saw 2 very dark Cinnamon color squirrels, about the color of a Mink, but no shine. I've seen all the phases talked about in this Thread except, the Pinto or mixed colors you guys talk about, all the colors I've seen are solid colors. BUT I ain't dead YET.....Be Safe>>>>>>Wally

I think the White ones don't last long due to Predators.I can't even have white Chickens on my place. I've got 1 chicken run with wire over the top for Broilers ,keeps out the Eagles, hawks, and Owls........Be Safe>>>>>>>>Wally

Back