Black Squirrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

Reaction score
My daughter lives in Michigan. They have black fox squirrels there. I want one really bad. That’s about as high on my bucket list as you can get. Hopefully at Christmas I’ll be able to hunt them. I mmmmmissed one last Christmas.

And as I am a taxidermist, I will mount it😉
BA99F1A0-C817-4242-B4BA-CEB560D71CF0.jpeg

GeronPG

32 Cal
Reaction score
We have a good population of Fox Squirrels where in hunt in Hoke County, Southeastern NC. They vary in color: black with white noses or feet, grey, brown/brindled. They are about 50% larger than the typical grey squirrels.

Reaction score
When I lived in Omaha, Ne. (54 yrs ago) We had an occasonial Black Phase Fox Squirrel in our Neiborhood. Now that Neighborhood is about 75% Black phase.Been living about 40 mi. south for 53 yrs. beginning to see an occasional Black, and the Grays are moving north. Grays a very noticabily smaller. On a sunny Winters day I will see all 3 feeding on acorns and Hickory nuts at my Cabin at Warsaw,Mo. (326 mi. south of Home) I'm jealous as Hell of their arboristic talents. I have tried every thing to start Oak & Hickorys from nuts.JUST Can't do it. But let a Squirrel spit one on the ground, Seems to grow before he finishes covering it.Got 5 Black Walnut trees to prove it. Maybe I should gather a bucket of Acorns and Hickory nuts and leave them in the tree row .Maybe the little Buggers will plant a few for me........Be Safe >>>>>>>>>>Wally

Brokennock

Cannon
Reaction score
In my area, NW Connecticut, i see them often, but there many more grays. Along a 1.5 mile stretch of rural road leaving from my house, I might see 1 or 2 and dozens of grays.
The 1st one I ever saw was 18 or so years ago in People's Forest off Beaver Brook "road."
I've wanted to get one and have it mounted on a board like a full bear mount, with one paw on the biggest acorn I can find and the other up in the air like it is striking at something,,, just for a laugh.
Still haven't gotten a good shot at one while bowhunting deer, and won't risk shooting at one while deer hunting with my muzzleloader.

Texas Gil

40 Cal
Reaction score
Years ago I saw fox squirrels, all black with white ears while deer hunting Fort Bragg, NC.

Henry Miles

40 Cal
Reaction score
On the other end of the spectrum, Brevard NC has a well-known population of white grey squirrels. These are not albinos but a genetic color modification that allows them to reproduce and retain their white colored fur. Some have grey streaks or spots but most are solid white. They have a yearly festival for the white squirrels. They are, of course, legally protected from being harmed.

Mad Professor

50 Cal.
Reaction score
While I was out deer hunting today I ran into some black color morph squirrels. I’ve seen these once or twice before and I was wondering how common these are? I wasn’t able to bag one today but I hope to in the future. How rare is the group I found today?

-10 Ga
I saw them years ago near Connecticut River Valley close to river. (1980-90s?) Never seen them in the hills on either side of the river.

Mad Professor

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Do black squirrels matter? In the crock pot?

It don't matter if they are in my berries/orchard/garden either...........tree rats all of them with ground rats too. I'm not prejudicious , I shoot them all.

If I don't eat them (tree rats), the foxes will get supper free without working for it.

Last edited:

Herb

54 Cal.
Reaction score
About 10 years ago, Garnavillo, Iowa had fox squirrels with white tails in their city park.

10 Ga.

Plainsman
Reaction score
Wow! That “whitetail” is an interesting color morph. I wonder how those lighter morphs fair with avian predators.

ADK Bigfoot

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I first saw melanistic phase (black ) squirrels in Toronto. Then I saw them in Rochester. Now I have them in my area, with 20% black to grey squirrels. I have had inbred hybrids with all sorts of variations; grey with black tails, black with grey tails, and a mottled auburn color. They are all normal grey squirrels with that gene derivation.

They all taste the same, adjust your salt/pepper ratio to compensate.

ADK Bigfoot

Last edited:

Zutt-man

40 Cal
Reaction score
My hometown of Marysville, KS is the official city of the black squirrels. They’re quite the big deal up there

10 Ga.

Plainsman
Reaction score
Marysville KS is where I saw my first black squirrel. I believe they are melanistic fox squirrels. I used to work at a landscape company that did some jobs up that way. Those black squirrels were jumping around some of the yards I was working in. As hunters I think we are observers of nature, and it is interesting to see how diverse a basic prey species like squirrels can be.

Zutt-man

40 Cal
Reaction score
Marysville KS is where I saw my first black squirrel. I believe they are melanistic fox squirrels. I used to work at a landscape company that did some jobs up that way. Those black squirrels were jumping around some of the yards I was working in. As hunters I think we are observers of nature, and it is interesting to see how diverse a basic prey species like squirrels can be.
What I’ve found odd about the squirrels in Marysville is they haven’t really expanded their range. I grew up on a farm about 6 miles outside of town and we never saw one. Never really heard people talk about them being outside of town either. I spent a lot of time on the big blue river and nary a one.