• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Black spray paint

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete G

76 Cal.
Reaction score
I have seen where some builders will use black spray paint to help create a patina on their stock. I am planning a blacksmith built gun and it seems that would be an appropriate place to try that type of finish.

I have a few questions before I dive off into this.

How heavily is it applied, a light mist or like you are painting the stock?

Is it applied over stain and finish and then polished off with steel wool?

Is it applied before final finish and then coats of finish added over it?

FWIW I generally use A/F for stain and Tung oil finish (if that matters any).

Hi Pete,
Mike Brooks is the master of that technique. I used it on the cherry-stocked gun shown below. It creates a nice mellow look because the pores in the grain are filled with black pigment. Before staining the wood, I painted it with very thin black paint (about as thin as paint that comes out of a spray can). After drying, I rubbed the black almost completely off with green and maroon Scotch-Brite pads. Then I stained and put finish on the wood.

dave

Chemerkas%20fowler%20finished%202_zpsalluzk2d.jpg

Chemerkas%20fowler%20finished%203_zpsabut0f8o.jpg

Chemerkas%20fowler%20finished%2010_zpskxfxgtvg.jpg

Chemerkas%20fowler%20finished%207_zpslbylwoky.jpg

Like Dave said Mike Brooks is the man when it comes to that. He has it down to an art an if you will get on his web site an look over his tutorial Im pretty sure its in there. If not email him an I bet he will help you. He has given me advise on several guns I built myself but i also have one of his that he used the black paint age method. He built Delilah my 40 cal an used that method to throw a little age to her

Thanks for showing that Wattlebuster! Mike does such a great job. My purpose using the paint was not to age the look like Mike does, but to provide a contrast color in the wood fiber that makes the reddish brown color of the wood pop out. It is like doing lettering with a dark shadow border on each letter. The shadow makes the letter pop out.

dave

LMF Ebony stain, works in a similar fashion, to establish a contrast and shadow effect.

The Ebony can be applied with a Q-Tip, almost drawing the contrast in the concave areas.

Mike Brooks, is indeed talented, but for a novice, stain on stain, would make the job easier.

Back