• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black Ramrod

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess that BROWN is beautiful also??
Black and brown are beautiful. The shiny black rammer in my rifle looks elegant in an elegant rifle. I also have a rifle with a spiral burned in the ramrod. Real fancy engraved German hunting rifle. I like that one too. A zebra rod?

I looked into that ebonizing process Jay spoke of. Interesting and looks like it will work.

A period solution would be to ebonize it with vinegaroon. Iron dissolved in vinegar. If you have a blacksmith or bladesmith near you, they probably have a tub of vinegar for acid-etching pattern welded steel. Borrow some and brush it on.
Jay

I use a lot of vinegaroon and am pretty sure it will not bring a black response from Hickory.

Far right is vinegaroon. Middle is aqua fortis. Far left is india ink.

20201125_103911_copy_800x182.jpg

I have always liked black or nearly black ramrods on the Hawkens, Leman and Mountain Muzzleloaders I have made. I really like the india ink, but I hate to admit I took the fastest way out and used several coats of Aquafortis and heated to the point of almost burning the rod. I just got thru making three Hawken rifles for some of my grandsons. I used the Aquafortis on all of the ramrod. The next one I make I am going to have some india ink or other stains on hand though.

A period solution would be to ebonize it with vinegaroon. Iron dissolved in vinegar. If you have a blacksmith or bladesmith near you, they probably have a tub of vinegar for acid-etching pattern welded steel. Borrow some and brush it on.
Jay
Going to try this next

The formula for vinegaroon is imprecise but simple:

• Pierce a small hole in the lid of the jar. This allows gas to escape safely
  • Fill the jar with steel wool. No need to pack it in tightly, just add enough to fill the jar by about 2/3
  • Pour in vinegar to fill the jar
  • Screw on the lid and set aside for 2-3 days
Thanks Jay

Vinegaroon and aqua fortis are basically the same thing. They each carry iron molucles into the wood. Its the iron that causes color changes not the vehical. Nitric acid doesn't evaporate fast so heat is used to drive it out. Acetic acid in vinegar avaporates quickly on its own. LMF sells black stain.

In the end BRM!!! Black Ramrods Matter!

How good does the India Ink stay on a ramrod? Out of the discussed, when dry, which one leaves the least amount of black on your hands without sealing? Excluding paint of course.

How good does the India Ink stay on a ramrod? Out of the discussed, when dry, which one leaves the least amount of black on your hands without sealing? Excluding paint of course.

Just use a bit of stock finish over the top, very thinly applied, and none of them will put color on your hands.

I dyed a ram rod black with Alcohol based die a couple times. The process is this. Take a section of regular water pipe 3/4" and as long as needed. Plug both ends with a pipe cap. Drill and tap one end for a tire valve. Place the ram rod in it and fill with black shoe die. Inflate the pipe to psi. and leave it for at least a week. Then remove it and finish with oil.
No matter what you do it will not stay black for very long but go ahead and waste your time. You won't believe me until you do. If you want a black rod you will have to go with a plastic one or a ebony one. Ebony is not a very good ram rod wood. It is brittle.

If I ever make a rammer black I'm going to spray black laquer on it. Then when someone asks about it I'll say it was jappaned. Because it sounds neat.......

Back