• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black Ramrod

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannonball1

40 Cal.
Reaction score
If a person wanted to make their hickory ramrod the blackest possible what would they use to stain it. No I will not paint it or burn it. Any suggestions?

Minwax True Black stain (HomeCheapo, Lowe's, etc)

027426700512.jpg

A period solution would be to ebonize it with vinegaroon. Iron dissolved in vinegar. If you have a blacksmith or bladesmith near you, they probably have a tub of vinegar for acid-etching pattern welded steel. Borrow some and brush it on.
Jay

I have an old rifle from Firth that has a black ramrod. Looks painted.

What's wrong with paint? Black lacquer?

Attachments

• japanned ramrod.jpg
    japanned ramrod.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
I thought aquafortis turned hickory black so I went out to the shop to do a test, it doesn't, two coats make a dark chocolate brown. I have some tannic acid, later today I will try a test with tannic acid and then aqufortis.

Looking back through my pictures I found it is osage the aquafortis turns black.

hickory
AQ and hickory.JPG

osage
aq osage2.jpg

If a person wanted to make their hickory ramrod the blackest possible what would they use to stain it. No I will not paint it or burn it. Any suggestions?
Boil it in some logwood trap dye. Always made my hickory hawk handles black when dyeing them with my traps.

Back