• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Black Pudding

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAEDWALD

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Whilst on the subject of ancient recipes using all of the excess bits of a pig here is the recipe to make your own Black Pudding. The finest breakfast invention since breakfast. Not soft and squidgy like a boudin noir but firm and sliceable into rounds. A greasy spoon in Stockport used to have them made large enough to make a black pudding burger with a fried egg and brown sauce. Mmmm.... Emigrants would have taken assorted variations on the theme from their own local tradition. I have eaten them from Spain to Sweden. All good, all different but the British Black Pudding is far away my favourite (sorry my local butcher with your Boudin Noir although when you make yours in season the chestnut version comes close).

Thank you for posting this video. I find "foreign foods", especially those with interesting ingredients fascinating, though I admit to not eating many of them in my lifetime.

How about a Spotted Dick recipe???
Look on you tube Townsend cooking vids. Then look up hunters pudding, or plum pudding. Eighteenth century recipe for this treat.
Puddings are best done with suet, but butter works and suet is expensive.
Note the only person who whistles at sea is the bous’n except for a cook making plum duff, he had to whistle so the sailors would know he wasn’t sneaking raisins.(the plums in plum pudding are raisins)
Duff uses crushed ships bread instead of flour.

OK well first, sorry about this my friend...There is... NO SUBSTITUTE FAT FOR SUET IN A BOILED NOR STEAMED PUDDING.

Suet around my area from a butcher, goes for like $2.00 a pound. Folks use it as the hard fat in salami and bologna from it...often from venison which is why I can find it at this time of year. I make Erbwurst as well as boiled puddings from the stuff. You want raw suet, from around the steer's kidneys. Butter starts at like $3.49 a pound and goes up....

check this thread for pudding information https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/puddin’.115843/#post-1583236

LD

OK well first, sorry about this my friend...There is... NO SUBSTITUTE FAT FOR SUET IN A BOILED NOR STEAMED PUDDING.

Suet around my area from a butcher, goes for like $2.00 a pound. Folks use it as the hard fat in salami and bologna from it...often from venison which is why I can find it at this time of year. I make Erbwurst as well as boiled puddings from the stuff. You want raw suet, from around the steer's kidneys. Butter starts at like $3.49 a pound and goes up....

check this thread for pudding information https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/puddin’.115843/#post-1583236

LD
I don’t have it available around me or yet to find it ... thanks for the heads up
Yes it works better then butter in a pudding I just got it and it was too far expensive

Look on you tube Townsend cooking vids. Then look up hunters pudding, or plum pudding. Eighteenth century recipe for this treat.
Note the only person who whistles at sea is the bous’n except for a cook making plum duff, he had to whistle so the sailors would know he wasn’t sneaking raisins.(the plums in plum pudding are raisins)
Duff uses crushed ships bread instead of flour.

I can get all the suet i want free, i take a road trip to Iowa to a local meat locker, they can not sell it, all you have to do is tell them you want it for animal feed, and you get GOOD beef kidney as well.

Back