• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Black powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Should have bought sooner.

Sure hope Estes gets going. I just saw this which raised my eyebrows!

Goex Post.jpg
;

I have to agree with Rifleman

homemade powder is never going to be as energetic and refined as what the factories are making

it will work, but getting a uniform product with perfect ignition? highly unlikely
Hmmmm I have to agree here..would you just look at that unrefined.three shot group at 100 yards with 120 grains of my black brew and the .58 cal. CVA Mountain Rifle, damn thing shot to the right...what am I to do? Oh yeah move the sights...:doh:

Attachments

• 20220510_140906.jpg
    20220510_140906.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 30
fired about 25 rounds of home brew over a chrono
fired about 25 rounds of goex fffg over a chrono
this was last Thursday. the velocity difference was 50 ft +/- with equal charges.
the home brew was still slightly green as i made it Wednesday. meaning not bone dry.
i am perfectly happy to shoot either.

Reactions: LME
I would try to make my own powder, but I need to buy a press, grinder, and screens to make it happen. I don't suppose it's safe to smoke a cigar while I'm mixing powder?!:ghostly:

I would try to make my own powder, but I need to buy a press, grinder, and screens to make it happen. I don't suppose it's safe to smoke a cigar while I'm mixing powder?!:ghostly:
do your mixing in a ball tumbler and you can make like Cheech and Chong! and one does not "need" a press

yes the hockey puck process does aid in the stability of the granules. makes them denser and increases, in my experience, the velocity about 7-10 %.
for my shooting hand grained works just fine. i use a fine kitchen screen. varying the pressure produces varying grain size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back