• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Black Powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its fine. Use common sense (or please return it to the factory) and store where you want....in a cool dry place. Coolest. Dryest. Heck put in the kitchen cabinet behind the Cap n Crunch,

Black powder is not temperature sensitive with respect to degradation due to temperature changes. You want to store your powder in a container that will allow the powder to burn up rather than contain an explosion. A steel locker using rivets to hold the panels together is fine. A sealed refrigerator is not although it is well enough insulated to keep the powder temperature below the ignition point in case of a fire.

Found a good solution I think. Wooden box we had in storage. Used for horse brushes and stuff. Not anymore.

Removed metal except hinges but covered them. All wood. Rubber liner on bottom. Loose lid no latch. 5222A77A-9CBA-45C5-9E7C-93D0C95ED1BA.jpegA8389773-381A-454A-8EFD-523C7EC105FE.jpegBB76FA4C-D2EC-456E-94E6-F04AFADCD82D.jpeg

Sorry, resurrecting this old thread.

Been shooting Triple 7 all along but getting 4 lbs of GOEX soon. Can this be stored in a metal gun cabinet in a garage type building I have? It's a good building, steel roof, concrete floor, etc. Dry but the temp in it is basically same as outside year round. -30 in winter and could be 90 in summer. Or does real BP need to be in a wooden cabinet or box? How about just on a wooden shelf?

thanks!

BP has an indefinite shelf life as long as it is kept dry.
Do not store it in a strong metal or wooden cabinet or box. If there is a fire hot enough to set it off, a loosely constructed enclosure will let pressure escape in a big whoosh.
If stored in a more rigid structure that will not readily come apart as pressure builds, the resulting pressure spike will cause a BOOM!!, and will actually become a bomb of sorts as it detonates.
About the worst thing possible you could store it in is a military ammo can.
Which, unfortunately, is how a lot of people store it.

The lid on my little box above is just folded closed with no latch or anything. There is actually a little gap now small enough that critters won't get in but big enough to vent the box. The building it's in is actually a sort of workshop where I clean my guns and store some saddles and stuff. The box is on a secure table and brackets both sides of the legs to keep anything from moving. High and dry. Temperature in this building can be -30F in winter and 80F - 90F in summer depends on weather, but Alberta is very dry year round, especially here in the foothills. Guess if we had a prolonged heatwave I can put a freezer pack in the box.

The lid on my little box above is just folded closed with no latch or anything. There is actually a little gap now small enough that critters won't get in but big enough to vent the box. The building it's in is actually a sort of workshop where I clean my guns and store some saddles and stuff. The box is on a secure table and brackets both sides of the legs to keep anything from moving. High and dry. Temperature in this building can be -30F in winter and 80F - 90F in summer depends on weather, but Alberta is very dry year round, especially here in the foothills. Guess if we had a prolonged heatwave I can put a freezer pack in the box.

BP does not degrade or break down like nitrocellulose smokeless powders do in weather-caused heat. Shelf life is pretty much indefinite.
Even if it gets wet, there are numerous historical references about having to dry out powder that was thoroughly saturated with water ( Lewis and Clark expedition comes immediately to mind, but I have read about several others ).
I have wondered if the powder was weakened, or a made a little erratic after the drying process, but have not seen any references about that.

Spence may be able to shed some light on this.

BP does not degrade or break down like nitrocellulose smokeless powders do in weather-caused heat. Shelf life is pretty much indefinite.
Even if it gets wet, there are numerous historical references about having to dry out powder that was thoroughly saturated with water ( Lewis and Clark expedition comes immediately to mind, but I have read about several others ).
I have wondered if the powder was weakened, or a made a little erratic after the drying process, but have not seen any references about that.

Spence may be able to shed some light on this.

BP wil definitely go boom after being wet! I worked a case where a three year old boy was killed after he and his brother found a pipe bomb in the river. The river had receded during winter and they found this pipe on the now exposed beach. Mom got tired of them horsing around with the thing and told them to throw it into the fire. (Didn't look like your Hollywood pipe bomb) A short time later, after the powder had dried out, it blew up and a piece hit the boy in the head.
I called in the bomb squad and we located a second device that looked nothing like a pipe bomb. We decided to shoot it with the robot anyway. When that thing went off...you should have seen EVERYONE'S faces.
Figured they had both been thrown out into the river several months prior.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your storage box should be fine.

True, the shed locks but that won't stop anyone who wants it bad enough.

But it can be stored in a steel cabinet correct? Thought I saw somewhere that was a no-no.

Mine is stored in a non working refrigerator in an outside building. If I would have had a old chest freezer I would have used it. Unlocked of course so if it gets an ignition source it's not contained and door simply opens.

Back