• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black powder?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Because I bought a case a few years ago but have two homes and curious to know if it is legal to purchase another case for my other home. I just don’t remember what the legality of it is..........greg"

Another, if you shoot and your wife shoots, are you allowed 50 pounds or 100 pounds?

Because I bought a case a few years ago but have two homes and curious to know if it is legal to purchase another case for my other home. I just don’t remember what the legality of it is..........greg

There are rules &/or regs regarding how much can be shipped in a single container (I believe those are federal) & there may or may not be rules & regs at the local (city/state) level as that depends on where you live. Most often the local regs are enforced by your Fire Marshall or Chief & have to do with how & in what quantity BP can be stored. I am not aware of any restriction on the quantity you can own. It would be better to ask your question to your local Fire Dept. than here, as if there are any restrictions they are most likely to give you the correct answer for your particular circumstance. A call to your local BATFE office would answer the question if there is any restriction on the quantity an individual can possess. Relying on the "internet" for the answers may not be a wise choice.

There are federal laws governing the amounts, but there are also local or state laws that can be more restrictive. I "know" blackpowder is reasonably safe, but there is no way I want to keep 10 or 20 pounds of it in my house. I just don't.

I don't understand the concern with keeping BP in house.

Look around at all the other things in your house. Aerosol containers of all sorts of things, gasoline/charcoal lighter in the garage, paint thinners, propane bottles of all sizes, hydrocarbons of all types, etc. How many have oxygen/acetylene bottles in their garage?

Statistically the odds of your house catching fire is very low. You are at risk driving your car more than you losing BP in a fire.

I worry a whole lot more about Lithium Batteries. If you ever have them catch fire in a device and I have, danger danger. Tablets, phones, drills, seems everything uses them. I work with commercial lithium batteries that are safe in the battery housing but if the case is ruptured, contents will blind and inhalation causes death. Then, gasoline is identified as Non-Hazardous!

I keep my black powder in my bedroom, workshop, and at camp.

Ok you guys asking about the "laws and regs" around storing personal use black powder need to understand this- there are household items that are far more dangerous than properly stored black powder. There are some household cleaners that when improperly mixed give off substances that are deemed weapons of mass destruction in large enough quantities so 10-15lb of the holy black are not a problem if you store it responsibly. I have some powder that has been in my storage for years and through multiple moves and it's never decided to spontaneously combust or send my domicile into low earth orbit. Besides, at what point do you decide to live free and not ask permission from the king?

There are federal laws governing the amounts, but there are also local or state laws that can be more restrictive. I "know" blackpowder is reasonably safe, but there is no way I want to keep 10 or 20 pounds of it in my house. I just don't.

Send it here and I will store it for you. Great deal, my storage contracts are free and come with weekly to monthly testing to assure the product remains viable.

I just picked up last Wed. a pound of Goex 2ff and a pound of 3fff and a supply of flints and a Lee mold and other essentials I’m gathering to get back to ML shooting at the Log Cabin Shop in Lodi, OH. If you’ve never been there it’s worth the trip just to gawk at all they have (for many aspects of 18th century living) and see their historic firearm museum. And it’s so close to you - maybe just an hour drive or less each way. It’s 45 minutes for me.
The problem I have with the Log Cabin is every time I go there I am broke when I leave, and twice I had to go home for more money!

Is 25 lbs the most one person can own or is 25 lbs the most you can store in one location (address)? Greg
Some cities have stricter regulations but the national limit is fifty lbs. Which is why every time we get down to less than 25 lbs my nephew and I order another case. The hazmat fee is the same for 25 lb as for 5lb.

From the ATF website.

Is black powder subject to regulation under federal explosives laws?
Black powder is an explosive material for purposes of federal explosives laws and regulations.
However, the law exempts from regulation commercially manufactured black powder in quantities not exceeding 50 pounds (as well as percussion caps, safety and pyrotechnic fuses, quills, quick and slow matches, and friction primers) intended to be used solely for sporting, recreational, or cultural purposes in antique firearms as defined in 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(16) or in antique devices exempted from the term "destructive device" in 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(4).
Regardless, persons engaged in the business of importing, manufacturing, or dealing in black powder in any quantity must have a federal explosives license, and comply with recordkeeping, storage and conduct of business requirements.
[18 U.S.C. 841(c), 841(d), 845(a)(5); 27 CFR 555.11: definitions of "explosives" and "explosive materials", 555.141(b)]

https://www.atf.gov/explosives/qa/black-powder-subject-regulation-under-federal-explosives-laws

Ok you guys asking about the "laws and regs" around storing personal use black powder need to understand this- there are household items that are far more dangerous than properly stored black powder. There are some household cleaners that when improperly mixed give off substances that are deemed weapons of mass destruction in large enough quantities so 10-15lb of the holy black are not a problem if you store it responsibly. I have some powder that has been in my storage for years and through multiple moves and it's never decided to spontaneously combust or send my domicile into low earth orbit. Besides, at what point do you decide to live free and not ask permission from the king?

I love your reasoning!
But if the house burns down the insurance company finds out they can use that to deny the claim if there is by law to much holy black in the house.
I t shouldn't be all that hard to find out how much is legal.

From the ATF website.

Is black powder subject to regulation under federal explosives laws?
Black powder is an explosive material for purposes of federal explosives laws and regulations.
However, the law exempts from regulation commercially manufactured black powder in quantities not exceeding 50 pounds (as well as percussion caps, safety and pyrotechnic fuses, quills, quick and slow matches, and friction primers) intended to be used solely for sporting, recreational, or cultural purposes in antique firearms as defined in 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(16) or in antique devices exempted from the term "destructive device" in 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(4).
Regardless, persons engaged in the business of importing, manufacturing, or dealing in black powder in any quantity must have a federal explosives license, and comply with recordkeeping, storage and conduct of business requirements.
[18 U.S.C. 841(c), 841(d), 845(a)(5); 27 CFR 555.11: definitions of "explosives" and "explosive materials", 555.141(b)]

https://www.atf.gov/explosives/qa/black-powder-subject-regulation-under-federal-explosives-laws
Friction Primers. Would a flint be considered a friction primer?

Back