• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black Powder TV

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brentona

36 Cl.
Reaction score
As a complete Novice to the sport, I saw this mentioned in a post during my long search of absorbing information. This YouTube channel has been a solid little learning experience that I have enjoyed. I cannot remember whom to really thank for this little tidbit, but thank you none the less!
If there are any beginners like me out there, there is a whole Newbie Playlist on their channel that answers many questions I know that I had myself. I am trying to be patient as I await my rifle's construction. I have much to learn. i even have the opportunity to check out a local club in October. So much to learn! Who else has good recommendations for more channels? I know there are some must read's on the subject. The maker of the rifle recommended .012-.015 for patch thickness, but after watching BPTV, I am wondering if I might even find success with thicker patching! Can't wait!

You're in luck, the content creator of this channel hangs out right here.

Hell probably be by in a bit, definitely a good YT channel with down to earth/real world content!
That’s great! He says 2F for .50! I’ve read most use 3F, I figure I’ll buy one of each, worst thing is I prime with the 3 and load with the 2, just want to find the proper recipe!!

That’s great! He says 2F for .50! I’ve read most use 3F, I figure I’ll buy one of each, worst thing is I prime with the 3 and load with the 2, just want to find the proper recipe!!
If you are priming with 3f, then load with 3f. The proper recipe is a load that is within the limits of your firearm and provides the accuracy on target that you want to achieve. You should be able to get that using 3f powder. Here basic load development is your friend here. While the manufacturer's recommendations for patch thickness are reasonable, you might find during load development another load that is good with the thicker patch and a smaller ball to get an easier to load patch and ball.

Check your barrel manufacturer's specs for powder grain size and max load. My first rock lock was a Lyman Trade Rifle in .50 and I only ever used FFF based on a load suggested by the guy who got me into BP shooting and who also owned a Lyman. Like most of us, it only took one shot to get me hooked and years later I built a longrifle with a .50 Rice barrel. But Rice said to use FF so that's what I use, never tried it with FFF. I've always used FFFF for priming, but a lot of guys like to use the same powder they load with. I never tried to prime with the FF or FFF.

Leatherwood Outdoors has some traditional BP hunts filmed during the late season here in PA that are fun to watch.

Bob's hard to get away from- he does lots of stuff and is very free with his knowledge. His shows are always interesting and informative.

Thanks for the kind words gents. I have watched every one of all the guys videos mentioned on the thread. Great stuff all. Bill Raby has a great channel for those interested in building flintlocks. Super stuff. If you have any ideas for videos please feel free to hit me up with them. Many of the ‘new shooter series’ playlist are requested videos. I’m doing some videos during archery deer Season and as soon as muzzleloader starts I’ll be filming that. As my range is closed for hunting season the majority of my videos from now until January will be in the shop or in the field.

I can't understand CAP & BALL, guy, his accent is to hard to hear what he is saying. I have to keep rewinding it to figure out what he is saying. that being said, he is a great BP. shooter. I also like his HISTORICAL CHANNEL. you can learn a lot from him.

First and foremost Brenton a welcome to the family!!! Waiting on that first rifle is indeed a hard wait but will so be worth it. When it comes please be sure to share pics!

The National Muzzleloading Rifle Association has some good videos and podcasts as well.
And if you haven't been there during one of it's shoots by all means take it in. Membership is very reasonable plus you get a great magazine every month!

I would add Stillwater wood crafts or woodcrafter 76, under both names. Brandon F, is another one. Nathen Jeffreys, Long Hunter Legacy, he is a kid in his teens but real good. Living History school, Keith Burgess, Fandibi Dozi who is Scottish and covers eighteenth century camping though not much on guns, Townsend’s videos. Townsend does a lot of cooking and ones on promotion of his products. Right now he has a lot on building a homestead. From a shelter to a cabin to a house and working farm.
Black powder Maniac is just plain fun.
Civil war digital digest covers a lot of food camping, living style

Back