• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Black Powder Tester Eprouvette

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Macman

1842 Harpers Ferry & 1795 Harpers Ferry .69 cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I got this from a friend. It says it's a black powder tester but the instructions did not come with it. Anyone know how it works? It's gummed up and the trigger and hammer do not work. Have to open it up and take a look.
Any value to it?
BP Tester.JPG

This auction describes how to use it:

https://www.collectorsfirearms.com/...tester-probably-french-or-belgian-ah4841.html
Powder Tester were used to measure the viability of black powder. The small amount of powder is placed in the barrel. A percussion cap is placed on the nipple. When firing the tester, a wheel with graduated numbers from 1 to 10 covers the muzzle and rotates to a number. A “10” would be an excellent reading for very strong powder.

The one pictured looks new, is that one yours? They are an excellent way to compare powders.

The one pictured looks new, is that one yours? They are an excellent way to compare powders.
Yes, it's mine. It's not new but I have the box and it has a molded plastic tray that it sits in. So it's not too old. I did get the trigger and hammer to work with a little WD-40. It's made in Italy.

Navy Arms imported one around 40 years ago and they were on the market for quite a number of years. Dixie and others sold them. NA had them at their booth at the N-SSA range for considerably under list price for a while and I regret not buying one but I was only interested in flint at the time.

Last edited:
I have seen them used at the Hagley Museum, they said the powder salesman would use it to demonstrate the power of DuPont powder and awe an audience.

A related DGW item flintlock tinder lighter

Attachments

• 20220619_143034.jpg
    20220619_143034.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220619_143004.jpg
    20220619_143004.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 0
Yes, it's mine. It's not new but I have the box and it has a molded plastic tray that it sits in. So it's not too old. I did get the trigger and hammer to work with a little WD-40. It's made in Italy.
Now that you got it working clean off the WD 40 and put some real oil on it. The WD 40 will dry out and it will be gummed up again. If you want a spray oil I use Rem oil

Well, seems like a good offer ,however, the item was given to me by a good friend for my birthday and it wouldn't be proper for me to sell it. But thanks for the offer.

Well, seems like a good offer ,however, the item was given to me by a good friend for my birthday and it wouldn't be proper for me to sell it. But thanks for the offer.
I totally understand and thank you for asking. If you ever change your mind please think of me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back